About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, January 27, 2023

A is for Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust

I'm not posting anything complicated until at least Tuesday or Wednesday of next week as my Hard Disk Drive is slowly dying! It's been doing so for a couple of days and I don't know how long I can steal extra time from it, but it just took over an hour and a half to get online,  half of that was the CHKDSK running, which it did automatically, it hasn't cleared the problem, which Windows first flagged it up two days ago, but it means that when it does die, it'll die all clean and well-ordered!

Fortunately I ran a full back-up over Christmas so I only have to save the stuff I've downloaded in the last few weeks and late December/January's photo's, most of which are still on the camera! But I'll be sad to see the thing go, it's done stirling service for over 12-years, and it was all image heavy . . . Wise Disk Cleaner has deleted nearly 600GB's of crap, there's about 3TB's on the dongles and external hard drives, all of which went through this little Lenovo Z570 Ideapad, it's probably a miracle it's lasted this long!

I bought it with some of the the money my late Godmother left me (along with paying for the 3DSMax course and getting the Volvo roadworthy after the Berkshire mess), however I've ordered an HP 17 for Monday (no more Chinese stuff, they are as safe and trustworthy as the Russians!), and an external disc-drive (laptops don't have disc-drives anymore!), so I can regard that as payed for with my late Mother's bequest.

It's like there's a great spiral of time, we get thrown on it at birth, spun-round, sometime too fast, sometimes not fast enough, and then - at some point - thrown off it again; a few of our memories remaining, but only so long as others we knew stay on the spiral themselves, holding those fragments of the past.

No comments: