About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

A is for Additional Adventurers

Bit of an odd one this; I'm used to these modern 'toob'/tub guys issuing a replacement set occasionally, we saw it with one of the Egyptian sets (Safari or K&M?), but this being only five figures is not a replacement set, unless shrinkflation is getting serious, but rather a sister set?

We saw a Plastoy lot of ten items, two years ago, on this exact, austere date, the day of piraty talk! But here's a set of five figures with a sixth accessory, and I can't remember where I bought it, however, given the shot and the date of the photograph, I may well have got it in Waterstone's, Basingrad, around Christmas-time?
 
Nice figures, the female is particular chic and swashbuckling, while the Afro-Caribbean chap is very similar to the one in the previous set, decoration wise, but has the slimmer grace of the other four in this set, so I think we can conclude another sculptor was involved?
 
They are very heavily armed, the guy on the left is positively bereft of weapons compared to his compatriots who all have at lest three! But if you have a peg-leg, I guess balance is your first concern!
 
A raft is the accessory this time, but it means that between the two sets (if you've re-read the other article!) ALL trope-boxes are well and truly ticked now. And having two sets of Plastoy makes getting the Papo set for next year a bit of an urgency, they really are 'missing' from the Blog now!
 
In trying to find out if the other set is still available (it seems to be), I discovered the previous sample is missing a tenth figure and cannon for a complete 12-count . . . the search goes on!

2nd October - Except in conversation just now, I realised the other - incomplete - set is 40/45mm not the 54mm of these, so now it's a question of looking out to see if they are going to trend a change to smaller content-count sets of 54mm figures, as they have some nice licences, like Asterix?

No comments: