About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, September 11, 2023

R is for Really Rubenstein!

Ooop . . . just let me get up on my high horse . . . that's better, now, where was I? Oh yeah! Rubenstein. There isn't much on Rubenstein within the hobby and most of what you will find seems to be conjecture dressed-up as fact! So I thought I'd add my tuppenceworth to the mix and probably ruffle a few feathers!
 
Rubenstein were a US jobber, one of a dozen or so companies/entities started by Irving Rubenstein, sometimes with his Brother Ralph, or possibly a wife, 'L' (?), always in or around North Hollywood, California. Rubenstein International were incorporated in 1977 (too late for some of the premiums they are credited with?), but are no longer active, although several of the companies (mostly involved in B2B sourcing, services, or marketing) are still extant, along with a family foundation.

On the left are the Euro-premium pirates (eight sculpts in the UK [Kellogg's] and 20 poses elsewhere, under several brands), on the right my fledgling Rubinstein collection about two years ago, I went on to add about three or four more sets, but they all went to storage about 12-months ago! Some described - by Rubenstein - as 'Made in Mexico', other's (most), 'Made in England' (not 'Britain', not 'The UK'). I have so far found one set credited to having been 'Made in the USA'.

The Robin Hood figures are the same version described elsewhere in the hobby (marked with small 'Canada' monikers), and seen elsewhere on the Blog against the New Zealand-made versions. As one of the 'made in England' sets, this would suggest someone larger than Tatra (for instance) as they must have been big enough to have a Canadian office/subsidiary?

The athletes are after the 'Euro' versions (with Olympic flame carrier), not the Kellogg's or Marx sculpts, and while both figure sets are soft polyethylene, the dune-buggys [sic] are hard polystyrene, like the R&L mini-kits, from Australia, but not marked-up to them.

Other figure sets include the ex-Raja Conjunto do Espaço 'space set' (which explains a question-mark from the very start of the Blog; my shiny yellow one is Rubenstein!), ex-Commonwealth Plastics dolls and possibly the dog breeds, but this is where I need to point out that so far, and I have been looking hard for over three years, there is NO empirical or circumstantial evidence for the Soldiers/Warriors of the World/All nations having ever been in Rubenstein packaging?
 
And if the dogs were issued by Rubenstein (and I suspect so), they were the multicoloured ones (from Mexico; not England), NOT the silver or gold ones issued with Nabisco breakfast cereals in the USA, for which the evidence is as sketchy as for the military set.
 
Indeed, let's get this out of the way, Rubenstein International were an 'Import & Export' outfit, according to their licences, and it's very unlikely they ever "made" a single toy! So whoever was supplying Rubenstein, would also have supplied the cereal or ice-cream guys &etc., and earlier, I think. Also - we know Tatra (for instance) were responsible for the warriors/soldiers . . . in silver and gold!

The R&L styled mini-kits, I now have three of these for us to look at in greater detail another day, indeed I think most of these are the shots of the auctions/BIN's I won, I wouldn't use so many evilBay images in one article if I didn't think I had a tad of moral ground under my tippy-toes! Not sure if I ever succeeded in getting the Cars, but I know I bought two sets of motorcycles, so I can make one set up, for a Blog post!

I actually managed to get the Antique Cars photographed, though! But I think I might also have got the set of Wagons, although I might be confusing it with the Historical Vehicles which I know I got but also didn't photograph? Interestingly, while the Dune Buggys are polystyrene, these are polyethylene, and the Penny Farthing in the Historic's set is probably the one Brian Berke sent to the Blog, as an addendum to that premium kit post!

So far the only set sourced in the 'States which I've found, which is not to say there aren't more, but the same eleven sets keep turning-up, with a possible run of the dogs in multicolours, making a dozen.
 
These are also nothing like the others, and we saw a pale-blue Hong Kong example of one of these in Chris Smith's last donation, so, a common gum-ball machine prize, or those rack-toy cards with a bunch of teeny header-bags for a dime or sixpence?
 
All of which gives us;
  • Action Athletes - Mexico, after Manurba/Linde et al.
  • Antique Cars - England, after R&L?
  • Comic Animals - USA
  • Comic Moon Figures - Mexico, ex-Raja premiums
  • Comic Pirates - Mexico, ex-European tool
  • Dogs - Mexico, ex-Nabisco premiums
  • Dolls of the world - Mexico, ex-Commonwealth 
  • Dune Buggys - England, after R&L?
  • Historical Transportation - England, after R&L?
  • Horse-Drawn Coaches - England, after R&L or Pyro/Kleeware?
  • Robin Hood Figures - England, previously/also Canada, after Marx
  • Soldiers of World War II - Hong Kong, contents unknown, Airfix clones?
  • Super Motorcycles - England, after R&L?

Sourced from England x6, Mexico x5, Hong Kong and the USA x1 each, for a twelve-count, which make-up grosses, which is how this rack-toy stuff is ordered/wholesaled thirteen-count; a bakers dozen!

The reason I've question-marked the possible R&L connection, is because R&L is another one where there may be falsehoods hiding as fact. When they turn-up in British or European products as premiums, they usually have A) very fine parts, B) 'R&L' somewhere on the runner, these four/five sets (the Dune Buggys may be from another source) are simpler and unmarked, while there is the various Italian sets of similar kits and the De Gruyter connections to consider.

Still no soldiers/warriors, though! Four days later - Still no soldiers/warriors!

Thanks to the Jabbering Fuck and Kent Sprecer for their contributions, not!

10 comments:

Kent Sprecher said...

You got a lot of the history of Rubenstein International wrong. I will be submitting an article to Plastic Warrior that sorts it all out.

Hugh Walter said...

Hahahahahahhaha! At least you've finally recognised me! What's that; a 26-year-odd duck, deaded . . . . ?

H

Hugh Walter said...

I hope it will be more empirical than some of the stuff you've posted so far!

H

Hugh Walter said...

It's almost like you've taken umbridge at my little'ol article on my little'ol Blog!

Heehee!

H

Kent Sprecher said...

No umbridge. Are your Made in England Robin Hood figures marked Canada under their bases?

Hugh Walter said...

Oh no, that's right, you gently sidled in and put me right on a couple of points! Fuck off Kent, we know where we are . . . I genuinely thought, after 16, nay, nearer 26 years of sitting it out on the verge, that you would carry on doing so, but you saw that high horse on the horizon, and you had to take the gloves off! If I'd known it was that easy, I would have done it years ago!

H

Kent Sprecher said...

huh?? what are you talking about? I asked you a simple question.

Hugh Walter said...

Hahahahahah! It's answered in the article, if you'd bothered to read it!

H

Anonymous said...

After a lot of thorough research i can conclude that mr.stadinger is a
Giant childish twat.

Hugh Walter said...

Thanks Anon, normally I ask people not to get involved, but it is all getting a tad tiresome now! I notice even his rent-a-mob haven't piled into his comments section this time. And sad that Kent played such a poor hand, as all he had to do was keep schtum for a few more years and at least one of us would have been dead, and he'd have never been involved!

Hay-ho!

H