I picked these up at the races! Totally new to me, and while Brain Carrick did know them, he couldn't remember the name, as he had sent them to someone else and eased the data out of the mental pending tray, if you know what I mean, anyway, I digged a dugging and now think they are Pratas a family firm (the Pratas family), who have apparently given their name, as the generic 'pratas', to all composition figures in Portugal!
Bases are in the Lineol style, but unmarked and smooth, I rather like the touch of the stands of wool for the plumes, redolent of the old British hollow-cast knights, with their airgun dart plumes!
I believe these are cadets, but whether officer-cadets, or something less elevated, I don't know, and could only find one image that sort of matched? Uniform seems to be loosely based on old Napoleonic-era garb, but in a paler grey-green, than the darker greys of the earlier period?
Not wishing to make the same mistake I made with the French swoppets a decade and a half ago, I am pretty certain that the green beret is a Paratrooper, and the red are commandos, Portugal does or did have a maroon, darker than ours, technically a brown, which was worn by the Light Infantry, now disbanded or replaced, with the beret possibly phased-out in 2019? But the green and red berets serve on.
The DPM uniform here is compatible with the Army's operations in Mozambique and elsewhere in the 'Colonial War' which ended in 1974, but worn through to the late Cold War. It has now - like many nations - been replaced with a smaller-fragment, more generic patterned one.
Scale is between 54 and 60mm, depending upon your ruling regarding deep bases, and they did do some smaller (50+mm) figures. The flags are making little sense, clearly meant to be the Portuguese national flag, I suspect a non-stable green-dye has completely faded? I have some fabric markers somewhere!

No comments:
Post a Comment