About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

L is for Latecomers!

I was sorting the 'my pictures' folder the other day and found several folders which weren't registering in Picasa, they can drop-off for various reasons (renaming all the images [in the folder] will cause it to disappear [from the screen] in Picasa!), although it's usually if the containing-folder is moved, which occasionally happens by accident.

One of the folders was from the Guards mini-season back in 2012/2013? And it's that one we'll look at now, it's odd that A) I didn't notice they weren't Blogged at the time and B) has three random images of other figures, in with what are mostly the Timpo/Toyway variants?

54mm Figures; 54mm Swoppets; 54mm Toy Soldiers; Ceremonial Guards; Ceremonial Troops; Guards Division; Plastic Toy Soldiers; Polyethylene Toy Soldiers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Swoppet Guards; Swoppet Heads; Swoppets; Timpo Ceremonials; Timpo Guards; Timpo Toys;
Timpo/Toyway; oldest at the top, question marks at the bottom. And from the top, they are; first version better paint, a pair of simpler paint and the SLR Shoulder-Arms pose from the second version, the officer placed mid-way as his paint, being different is harder to place.

Then the rest of the second type with two officers, one having gold collar and epaulettes, the other black. Below them are four first version, re-issued in PVC and fine-painted as a third version by Toyway, and below them are some cruder ethylene or polypropylene 'bits' which I assume are Toyway, but whether they came before or after the PVC ones I don't know, they may be test-shots, especially the blue officer? French Guards . . . unthinkable!

54mm Figures; 54mm Swoppets; 54mm Toy Soldiers; Ceremonial Guards; Ceremonial Troops; Guards Division; Plastic Toy Soldiers; Polyethylene Toy Soldiers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Swoppet Guards; Swoppet Heads; Swoppets; Timpo Ceremonials; Timpo Guards; Timpo Toys;
The paint difference between the first versions is limited to gold paint on the collar/epaulettes of those with the earlier bases.

The other comparison is between the second versions SLR's, now I genuinely don't know if Timpo did a brown and black version, or if the brown ones are only from Replicants, who I believe did produce some. As Replicants use a grade of polyethylene very similar in properties to that used by Timpo, would you even know the difference? Ours were black when we were kids, but I've seen more brown ones in recent years!

54mm Figures; 54mm Swoppets; 54mm Toy Soldiers; Ceremonial Guards; Ceremonial Troops; Guards Division; Plastic Toy Soldiers; Polyethylene Toy Soldiers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Swoppet Guards; Swoppet Heads; Swoppets; Timpo Ceremonials; Timpo Guards; Timpo Toys;
A Toyway blister-card of these came-up on evil-feeble-feeBay a while ago and they went for a pretty penny to a bit of a bidding 'war', and why wouldn't they; they are arguably the best version, faces are a bit pale, but more realistic for being so, the PVC is hard-wearing, and they are painted to a high-standard with proper PVC-paint which takes a lot to remove.

The Attention pose's legs though are wrong for a Royal Salute, the twos being in-line, either they are the officers Attention legs, or Toyway had a new pair knocked-up? In fact - looking at the boots; they have used the second version legs with first version bodies for the whole set!

And second version bearskins with first-version heads? Bases are the mid-era one with a Timpo Toys cartouche in the centre. But the three 'odds' at the bottom of the big line-up shot shows first-version legs, so Toyway had them both?

54mm Figures; 54mm Toy Soldiers; 60mm Toy Soldiers; Brass Section; Ceremonial Guards; Ceremonial Troops; Cherilea 60mm Soldiers; Cherilea Plastic Bandsman; Cherilea Plastic Musician; Cherilea Toy Soldiers; Guards Division; Guards Drummer; Lone Star 54mm Guards; Lone Star Guardsman; Plastic Toy Soldiers; Polyethylene Toy Soldiers; Polystyrene Toy Soldiers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
These three shots were also in the folder, and yet I'm sure we saw most of them in the thematic posts at the time, so I don't know what I was playing at, but it may be a clue as to why the folder disappeared, moving stuff around?

On the left is a Charbens drummer, sans-drum! As the drum was missing from PW's in their recent excellent tome on the subject of Charbens; I'm guessing I'll have more luck looking for rocking-horse shit? Thinks . . . I might have a khaki-green drum with two studs close-together somewhere, could that be it? Or am I thinking about something I saw in someone else's stock - blue and white painted edge and red rope-work VɅVɅV's painted over, if the memory has any merit? But those studs were square . . . I'm thinking of the Herald Hong Kong one aren't I? Or even a copy . . . Doh!

Then we have a 'Brass Section' shot which avoided the Brass Section post back then, the two Reisler's (one with the gurt-big sousaphone!) were probably PW purchases the previous year? While I'm sure we saw the Cherilea 60mm and Lone Star trumpeter at the time?

That's it for today and probably a late post tomorrow.

4 comments:

WOODSY said...

I loved these Grenadiers as a nipper. I recently mistakely referred to the hat as a Busby to a military acquaintance and I was quickly sent to the brig! They are called Bearskins as I was told whilst being court marshalled! ha ha. Great post Hugh about fab red toy soldiers from my own childhood. Only Action Men's uniform bettered them.

Hugh Walter said...

Busby! I hope they gave you a week's jankers with a blunt spud-peeler!

My brother had a knitted guardsman, about the size of Action man, maybe a bit bigger, and he had a letter-opener sword with it's own scabbard on a little elather belt, and a set of real miniatures for medals!

Cheers Woodsy

H

WOODSY said...

ha ha! What's Jankers? I ask because its very similar to my Missus' maiden name.

Hugh Walter said...

RP's, (restricted privileges), 'orders', a dicking!

H