About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

A is for Ahhhhhh! The Children's Crusade!

Well, you've seen me frustrate myself wreaking a big red Dinky London omnibus, while my brother sleeps oblivious next to me, you've seen the the pair of us as biscuit-chomping cowpoke gunslingers, now I seem to be a crusader!

I have absolutely no recollection of this whatsoever, however I think it might be 1969 (I look about six - far left) when I stayed with my Godmother while our parents were in the 'States. The guy in the middle is her son Charles, who was a couple of years older than me (so eigh'tish in this shot?), and while I thought the other guy might be an old friend Tobin, I suspect he's actually some one from the School I attended while staying there (Bishops Stortford), as my brother is absent and he must be my age/from my class, as Charles was a year or two above . . . or even attending a different school?

Could be a school-play? But 'Blondie' hasn't gone to the same lenths with his costume? Although his bow looks a little more professional than mine! Am I Robin Hood to Charles's Friar Tuck, or a man-at-arms to his crusader?

Fun thing to find!

The Children's Crusade

2 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Ahh memories! I was a Crusader once....long ago....venturing forth one All Hallows Eve... white surcoat with bold red cross, chainmail coif, well grey cloth cut like the hood on my rainjacket which buttoned over my chin, garbage can shield.....

Hugh Walter said...

Many a sauspan-lid or dustbin has saved me from a dragon, or my brother Ross! I'm hoping, when I sit down and sort them all to find the tree-root camel of the Jordanian Frontier Force, but that will be in a year or two!

H