About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, October 10, 2021

U is for Unknown Paratrooper and Other Animals

Another lazy-post in that I don't need to do much more than post someone else's photographs, but of interest, if only in the hope that if anyone knows Lieutenant Cole, who served at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, probably in 1969, they might show him these (I can even let him have the originals) if he's still around, he'll be in his late 70's now, I guess.


Whether the snakes were unwelcome visitors to the base or a training area/range, or part of some survival course's training equipment . . . or menu (!) I don't know, but Lieutenant Cole seems pretty at ease handling them, although he's staying pretty alert in the second shot I feel?

Probably taken - as I say - in Fort Bragg or it's environs in 1969, but I don't know who by (so the LT may have had his own copies?), and showing - I think Eastern Diamond-Backed Rattle Snakes? In the first shot certainly, the other two . . . it's hard to tell in B&W! The shots could have been taken earlier, my father had several trips over there I think, helping Charlie Beckwith, so these shots could be from '66 or around thereabouts?

In 1969 Dad had a six month liaison-exchange at Ft. Bragg, and took Mum, they were billeted with a US army officer's family I believe, but my brother and I were left here, staying with friends . . . we got smart orange/black sneakers (early All Stars?) and army-green tank-tops with Staff Sergeants stripes out of the deal though!

As Mum had possession of these photographs; I'm guessing they are from that visit? Also as a young woman, she had had a pet Grass Snake (Jezebel) - which she wore round her neck - in London in the 1950's, so would have enjoyed seeing these.

That's it, a couple more curious 'tears in rain' among the many I've been unearthing . . . Gallipoli later.

No comments: