About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, October 16, 2021

G is for Gods - Moving in Mysterious Ways?

We've had a couple of these string-of-coincidence posts over the years of the Blog, and it's about time for another, and this is a particularly odd series of coincidences, which follow-on from the previous post (below or 'older post') as a starter.

Ceremonial Troops; Guards Division; Guardsman Toy Soldier; Hong Kong; Hong Kong Novelty; Made in Hong Kong; Novelties; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Toy; Pencil Sharpener Figures; Pencil Sharpeners; Plastic Costume Figures; Royal Guards; Shackman; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Stationary; Tourist Keepsakes;
I found this figure in the flower-bed under the bay-window this afternoon when I got back from town and saw a flash of scarlet under the bush. Now I've raked leaves and the detritus of passers-by from under there dozens of times and know it had to be new, but "WTF"?

It looked like a Cavendish figure, and as I was washing it, I remembered dropping the Cavendish box when I was loading the car from the garage to take a load up to the storage unit  a few weeks ago, so that mystery was solved, sort of!

Also, while cleaning him, I was thinking, 1) "It shouldn't have been loose, on its own, it should have been with the rest in their bag?" - when I occasionally drop the boxes (150x150x200mm) the contents don't get damaged as all the little card-backed 4x5½" self-seal bags act like air pockets, so you just gather-up the escapees and sort them back into the box, and 2) "it doesn't look like the Cavendish figure?"

So I got-up the Cavendish articles dealing with the Guardsmen here at Small Scale World; there have been two in recent years, and sure enough, he wasn't the Cavendish pose, although by then I had a half an idea what he was, and that's the big coincidence, as I think he's from the pencil sharpener family of that previous post!

Ceremonial Troops; Guards Division; Guardsman Toy Soldier; Hong Kong; Hong Kong Novelty; Made in Hong Kong; Novelties; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Toy; Pencil Sharpener Figures; Pencil Sharpeners; Plastic Costume Figures; Royal Guards; Shackman; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Stationary; Tourist Keepsakes;
The only clues are the two locating studs which are the same as the loose Beefeater, and that the scrap of remaining base between the feet is the same red as others we've seen in that set, not the heavy base of the Cavendish figures, there are other differences between the Cavendish and this chap pose-wise (bearskin is slimmer, he's got a Lee Enfield not an SLR etc...), but they are the only real clues to his identity, so it remains provisional.

Now, I have half a memory of stuffing  a figure through the gap in the top of the Cavendish box a while ago, out of lazyness while sorting, and thinking that'll need putting in the bag next time I've got them out for a reason -  clearly I hadn't looked closely at him!

I then wondered if he'd come from Chris or Peter in a mixed lot recently, so searched the 'H is for . . . ' posts in the queue (including charity shop posts there's sixteen in that bit of the editorial waiting-line!), but I can't find him, so he must have come in with one of several mixed lots I've managed to find in the last few months - well, since I posted the two boxed sets on a Faceplant group a few months ago (last/most recent Cavendish post on that tag). He might have been in a lot from Adrian / Mercator back in May/June time?

But that seems to mean that a figure which I barely noticed coming-in to the collection, and which I needed for the last post I edited, was accidentally put in a box, which weeks or months later would be the only box dropped, and the first dropped for a while, and where in picking up the spillage I missed the one interloper (I thrashed that bed this afternoon and found nothing else!), only to find him in time to both recognise him and to tack him up here as a follow-up to the follow-up which was the previous post? The Gods . . . see? They're laughing at us!

Anyway, there you go, under my nose for a while . . . he's a better sculpt than the Hong Kong takes on Cavendish's figure, and will probably turn-out to be another of the pencil-sharpener/cake decoration/novelty set . . . bargain!

No comments: