About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, October 31, 2021

V is for Versus . . . Plants!

One single trope seems to connect the most of all the Zombie sets, the 'Zombies versus Someone', or 'Someone versus Zombies' title or set theme, usually as a 'vs' or simple 'v'. And these are no exception, despite my knowing slightly more than nothing about them.

Carnivorous Plants; Halloween Novelty Toy; Halloween Toy Figures; Halloween Toys; Horror Play Set; Jazwares; Plants versus Zombies; Plants Vs Zombies; PVC Figurines; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; The Zoofy Group; Zombie Figurines; Zombie Men; Zombie Toys;
Plants versus Zombies, I picked these up a while ago as they were going dirt cheap, and I haven't got the time to look into them right now, but I'll give them more time in a year or two and we'll return to them here with a full picture.

What little I've gathered from a few minutes on evilBay/Google is that they are quite a big thing, or recently were, possibly among the 5-10 age group, or 8-15's? Related to a computer game and dating back to around 2006 (game) / 2008 (toy licenses?) and the figures are made by Jazwares/The Zoofy Group (I think!).

Also there seem to be loads of them in various sizes of sets, with some commoner figures (most of the above ten?), and seem to have been around for five, maybe ten years? Fun things anyway, and although sculpted in a heavier style, and with some cartoonishness, are otherwise - at around 70mm - about the right size for the Accoutrements and Safari sets in the previous post.

Carnivorous Plants; Halloween Novelty Toy; Halloween Toy Figures; Halloween Toys; Horror Play Set; Jazwares; Plants versus Zombies; Plants Vs Zombies; PVC Figurines; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; The Zoofy Group; Zombie Figurines; Zombie Men; Zombie Toys;

I don't know if this chap goes with them but I think he does [no he doesn't - see comments], I thought he was a gardener, but he has three spanners hidden in his hair and another in his hand, so maybe the plants need the odd tune-up before they go hunting Zombies.

Also totally forgot Jan had looked at them a while ago; https://site-of-curiosities.blogspot.com/2017/07/plants-verses-zombies-toy-miniatures.html 

4 comments:

Mark, Man of TIN said...

P vs Z version 1 or 2 video games are quite good fun and a bit different. I like the Peashooters.

Reminds me of Sion Oxford's Weedkiller rules of GM mutant vegetable warfare c. 2000 https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14494/weedkiller

The mechanic figure is Big Chris, unrelated to P vs Z from kids animation series Roary the Racing Car. Happy to help!
https://roary-the-racing-car.fandom.com/wiki/Big_Chris

Hugh Walter said...

Ah! I did wonder, good, if I take him out the lid will fit easier! Cheers Mark!

H

Jan Ferris said...

These look very familiar, sort of like these https://site-of-curiosities.blogspot.com/2017/07/plants-verses-zombies-toy-miniatures.html. You can never have too many Zombies!

Hugh Walter said...

Hahaha! Totally forget that Jan, and those yellow ones seem uncommon, I don't remember seeing them in my brief research the other day! And Japanese packaging? Also your 'pea-shooter' shoots peas, mine (the plant everyone) is a non-firing 'sculpt'? Different series's?

H