About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

C is for Christmas - At Hobbycraft

Sliding into the festive season, and here's a few figurals I found at Hobbycraft, in fact, I managed to purchase the cat and soldier again (oh! Hugh; you're so predictable!) last night - I'll take them back and swap them, as there are dozens to choose from, but clearly my short-term memory isn't what it was!

In-store brand, sub-branded to 'Crafty Christmas', they may be local to you (in Europe, the Americas, the antipodes or elsewhere) branded under another name. They are quite small, across the range probably 20-45mm, because they are designed for cakes, cards and dioramas/displays, and - as the header-card states - of resin manufacture.

I got . . . ♫♪♪ Threeeeeeee Bay'bee Bears! Another-with-a-Pen-guin, a-cat in-a-hat - and a San'tah with pres-ents innn hiiiis haaaaaannds! ♫♪♫♪ . . . and a soldier, I got a soldier . . .

He's quite well decorated, but the painting leaves a little to be desired . . . boom-boom! Medals? I'll see me'self out when I've finished the blurb! He's about 28/30mm and a crude sculpt with a helmet that's a black helmet not a bearskin!

The undersides - bog-standard poured-resin fare, briefly kissed with a powered sander to make them flat/level-enough to stand up.

You may have noticed Santa' and the guardsman have thick/raised boots to sink into icing, glue or flock and which will help prevent breakage, common with these, check the packs before taking to the counter, as chipping (or worse) occurs as people browse through them, knocking them, dropping them etc . . . and then put them back!

Hobbycraft now, lots to chose from, tress, several dogs, a couple more bears, micro-vehicles, several pillar-boxes (including one with a  dog), presents . . . all sorts, £1.50p each!

No comments: