About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, November 15, 2021

L is for Les Souverains de France . . .

 . . . no! No, no, no 'rulers' . . . Les Règle de Mesure de France! Bloody Google Translate! Tchz!

Well, what is it? It's hardly 'Toy Soldier', but it's not really 'Figural Stationary', it is a card flat, except it's wooden, there's nothing hand-made about it, it's laser-cut on a computer and laminated on a production line, but it's fun, and with most loyal readers having fresh memories of the weekend's remembrance services and activities, and those being - still - more centered in WWI than any other, it's apt.

Credited to Editions Valoire-Estel and futher crediting the Musée de l'Armée for the images (obviously taken from manikins in the French National Army Museum), it's a ruler! Six French troops and six foreigners is - I think - quite generous to the foreigners, if it was a British (or American) museum it would be twelve of the parent nation, wouldn't it? 

Probably my last Charity Shop purchase of last year, and for 50p it would have been daft to leave it. It makes you want to go and find your Mokarex WWI figures and get the paint out, for which this is the ideal painting guide to prop-up on the work-table! And you can see from the conveniently-attached 'scale' that they are an almost perfect 54mm!


2 comments:

Mark, Man of TIN said...

That would have been a fine pocket money souvenir as a school child - nicely done. Good uniform reference (esp. if it showed the back view too).

Hugh Walter said...

I think it's quite contemporary Mark, laser-cut plywood took off about 12-15 years ago, but this might be the last few years, it looks unused?

By which I mean it may still be in the gift shop should anyone visit?

H