About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, November 18, 2021

T is for Two, no Three - Tinplate Toys!

One of the things which leads stuff to languish in the long queue for years is an annoying habit I have of getting the photos done, maybe even doing any collages or touch-ups, perhaps even starting the text, then thinking "Hold on, I really need x to make the post", going off to feebleBay, finding it's only available as a ten day auction and waiting for it to finish, by which time I've lost interest in the post, or finding it's not there at all and putting the whole thing on the back burner with a vague mental note to get one/some at some point!

Another reason, is that I imagine if I post it before I've located the 'missing element', y'all will rush off and find it first, so better to not raise it with you until I've got whatever it is first!

I say that only because when I posted the tinplate the other day, that's exactly what I nearly did, but in the end I published despite leaving bids on two items which would have made that a better post, and which you might have gone to look for after I published, which fortunately you didn't, despite Andy B mentioning one of them specifically in the comments to that post! Phew!

1:No scale; Austrian; China; Civilian; Decorations; French; German; Hawkin's Bazaar; Hawkin's Bazar; Hungarian; Ingo Roggaz; Inter-War; Limber; Make; Metal - Tin-plate; Novelty; Penny Toys; Prussian; Roggaz ZZ; Schilling; Sentry Box; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tin Plate; Tin-Plate; Tinplate; Tobar; Tobar Toys; USA; WWI; Zouave; ZZ; ZZ Trade-Mark;
So, I managed to get both without counter-bids, leaving a T is for Two as the obvious direction to go in. And the first was this lovely inter-war (?) piece of generic WWI limber.

I say generic, it's more a French helmet than a US or British one, however the dark-on-light grey of the cart's camouflage is more a Wehrmacht thing, but then it's been buggered-about-with, the horses are pulled tight to the limber and a bit squashed at the rear-ends by replacement wire traces, so I don't know how original it is, and it's missing a crewman, but if it was pucker it would be 100-&-something quid or Euro's or dollars, or whatever and well outside my budget! But it will look the part on a little shelf somewhere!

1:No scale; Austrian; China; Civilian; Decorations; French; German; Hawkin's Bazaar; Hawkin's Bazar; Hungarian; Ingo Roggaz; Inter-War; Limber; Make; Metal - Tin-plate; Novelty; Penny Toys; Prussian; Roggaz ZZ; Schilling; Sentry Box; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tin Plate; Tin-Plate; Tinplate; Tobar; Tobar Toys; USA; WWI; Zouave; ZZ; ZZ Trade-Mark;
The other item I literally went and bid-on half-way through editing the post two weeks ago was the missing Roggaz/ZZ-marked military piece from Schilling/Tobar; the ceremonial sentry box with a slightly Prussian or Austro-Hungarian bent, as mentioned by Andy! Luckily no one else from the loyal readership went to look for one, or if they did they didn't bid and I got it for the opener! isn't it lovely? It's lost it's tree-hanger, but is otherwise pretty minty.

1:No scale; Austrian; China; Civilian; Decorations; French; German; Hawkin's Bazaar; Hawkin's Bazar; Hungarian; Ingo Roggaz; Inter-War; Limber; Make; Metal - Tin-plate; Novelty; Penny Toys; Prussian; Roggaz ZZ; Schilling; Sentry Box; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tin Plate; Tin-Plate; Tinplate; Tobar; Tobar Toys; USA; WWI; Zouave; ZZ; ZZ Trade-Mark;
Then, a week ago I managed to find this at an otherwise very quiet Sandown Park show, which rather threw the T is for Two trope under a bus! It's a relatively common French 'penny toy' in the metallic 'spirit paint' finish such toys often came in, and again is probably a between-the-wars thing.

The boots and jacket should be gold'ish and blue respectively, but have suffered from degradation leaving little 'liver spots' under the varnish and fading the colours, but the red has held up well, and I'd photographed a better one on Mercator Trading's stall a few years ago (for the Tin Plate Page, if I ever get it finished!), so we will see a better one here at some point!

1:No scale; Austrian; China; Civilian; Decorations; French; German; Hawkin's Bazaar; Hawkin's Bazar; Hungarian; Ingo Roggaz; Inter-War; Limber; Make; Metal - Tin-plate; Novelty; Penny Toys; Prussian; Roggaz ZZ; Schilling; Sentry Box; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tin Plate; Tin-Plate; Tinplate; Tobar; Tobar Toys; USA; WWI; Zouave; ZZ; ZZ Trade-Mark;
The two horses with the limber are marked 'MADE IN GERMANY' from where a lot of the early tin-plate came from (Schuco, Bub, Tipp, Carrette, Distler, Märklin et al.), which is why the Roggaz goes with its misleading ZZ GERMANY ©, which can mean Roggaz from Germany's ZZ brand, copyrighted to Schilling or some Chinese firm, or not at all!

Something Schilling would have been happy with, expressly for that 'Germany' provenance, whether they were instrumental in the operation at the start or bought-in after Ingo Roggaz had instigated the line!

1:No scale; Austrian; China; Civilian; Decorations; French; German; Hawkin's Bazaar; Hawkin's Bazar; Hungarian; Ingo Roggaz; Inter-War; Limber; Make; Metal - Tin-plate; Novelty; Penny Toys; Prussian; Roggaz ZZ; Schilling; Sentry Box; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tin Plate; Tin-Plate; Tinplate; Tobar; Tobar Toys; USA; WWI; Zouave; ZZ; ZZ Trade-Mark;
So, three new pieces of tin-plate! You'll observe from the previous collage, I cleaned the limber after I'd taken all the other pictures! I wasn't just watching it Andy! And I will get the motorcycle and sidecar when I see a cheap one . . . for another day!

I've also found scans I'd taken, of the other catalogue, which I'll post shortly, or between now'ish and midnight, I must go and cook something!

No comments: