About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

T is for Two - Ships in Bottles!

A very quick one tonight, I've been having a 'bit of a week', boiler wise! Among the items I've inherited are two ships, in bottles, these are they . . .



This was from a Perrier Water promotion in the 1970's, a friend of Mum's (also our friend Guy's mum!) was a promoter who used to go round supermarkets or department stores demonstrating things and giving out free samples (Mum did too; a while later - I became addicted to mini frozen jam-doughnuts at one point!), and as well as the bottles of free Perrier, there were plastic key-ring bottles (which I should have somewhere, but can't remember seeing it for years?), and reward bonuses, and I think this was one of those.

Google and feebleBay reveal other Perrier ships in bottles, but they must have been different promotions or regions, as I only remember Janet having a few of these for her team. The ship - Loch Torridon, a four-masted barque/clipper-ship; one of the last) is fascinating, although it's history varies on the internet, some thinking it Norwegian when it foundered, some Russian, Wiki's probably best for a primer!

I've also seen this exact model in a different bottle, for a whiskey company's similar promotion, so the model must have been commissioned from a commercial ship-in-bottle modelling company!



This is more of a tourist memento/keepsake, and a fine example of blown-glasswork it is, one sail has fallen off, but finding someone with the skill to mend it is going to take a few phone-calls, as while there are craft glass-works about the place, there can't be many who can do key-hole surgery with long molten rods through the end of a bottle!

It's a more fanciful model of a more medieval type I think? That's it - two ships in bottles!

4 comments:

Andy B said...

With some of these more modern ships in bottles, you find the base has been cut off and reattached- not sure if its the case here. I find newer boats have a plasticene sea, older ones use plaster.

Hugh Walter said...

Ha-ha! No Andy, that's cheating! You do see them in charity shops sometimes, but I wouldn't blog them (except maybe if I ended-up with a box-full!) as they have no 'craft', these are both trad'! The Perrier is pulled-up by the cable linking the masts, and the glass one seems to have been built-up in-situ, with hot rods, hence the bind finding someone who can fuse that sail back on (which is right at the back!), thankfully it was a simple weak-join and fall to the bottom without shattering any rigging lines, or breaking itself! But made from hot glass would leave it tempered?

H

Hugh Walter said...

And yes, you're right about the plasticicne . . . same colour (a nice sea green-blue) on the Whiskey version which is why I'm attributing them to a third-party, unknown, commercial maker!

H

Andy B said...

Might not be commercial- we have a ship in a bottle made by a local fisherman, and it has a plasticene sea.