About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, October 31, 2022

B is for Bone Breaker's Old Jones Bones!

Back together again apparently, but I don't even remember their first hit? Clearly a full-on homage to the Bone Shaker candy of the past, and of which we've seen the coffin here now once or twice, and very chuffed to find these.

Bone Breakers; Bone Shakers; Candy Puppet; Coffin; Coffin Novelty; Confectionary Puzzle; Crazy Candy Factory; Doorstepping; Edible Canndy Puzzle; Edible Novelty; Halloween Candy; Halloween Gifts; Halloween Novelties; Halloween Novelty; Halloween Sweets; Novelty Coffin; Novelty Sweets; Old Jones' Bones; Skeleton Confectionary; Skeleton Novelties; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Trick Or treat; World of Sweets;
When I couldn't find whatever I thought was in the queue for this year and realised I didn't have anything to post today, I remembered I had seen these in the window of a local sweet shop, but I had been rushing to somewhere else and they were busy, so I made a mental note to go back for them, which I did last Saturday (nine days before THE day), but they had not only sold-out, but sold the one/s in the window, and announced they hadn't re-ordered!

Bone Breakers; Bone Shakers; Candy Puppet; Coffin; Coffin Novelty; Confectionary Puzzle; Crazy Candy Factory; Doorstepping; Edible Canndy Puzzle; Edible Novelty; Halloween Candy; Halloween Gifts; Halloween Novelties; Halloween Novelty; Halloween Sweets; Novelty Coffin; Novelty Sweets; Old Jones' Bones; Skeleton Confectionary; Skeleton Novelties; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Trick Or treat; World of Sweets;
So, I thought; "Well, they must be online, and I've got a week?", so off to Google, where the most obvious result was an eBayer called The Wee Sweetie Company trading as Letterboxsweeties, who sent me three, from Dundee (or Glasgow?) in less than two days and for no more than a couple would have set me back locally, and that; Ladies & Gentlemen, is why the High Street is dying!

And "Specially produced in China for the Crazy Candy Factory - World of Sweets" (Leicester and Belfast), I hate to think what damage to the planet my purchase represents, but I know some scientists (and the Secretary-General of the UN) are only giving us about two years or less to save the planet now.

Bone Breakers; Bone Shakers; Candy Puppet; Coffin; Coffin Novelty; Confectionary Puzzle; Crazy Candy Factory; Doorstepping; Edible Canndy Puzzle; Edible Novelty; Halloween Candy; Halloween Gifts; Halloween Novelties; Halloween Novelty; Halloween Sweets; Novelty Coffin; Novelty Sweets; Old Jones' Bones; Skeleton Confectionary; Skeleton Novelties; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Trick Or treat; World of Sweets;
Although presumably new tools, the compressed chalky sugar candy (which I dislike) seems to follow the pattern of the old Bone Shaker faithfully and consists of 12 pieces, I did try one in case they were nicer than I thought, and it was rock hard for the first few bites, hence 'Bone Breaker', then melted away rather disappointingly.

But was otherwise as I remembered it; a bit chalky and not very tasty, or that sweet? Nor did it have the tang of sherbet, so the eleven remaining bones went under the hedge to feed insects after rain, while the other two coffins are still sealed for 'posterity'!

Bone Breakers; Bone Shakers; Candy Puppet; Coffin; Coffin Novelty; Confectionary Puzzle; Crazy Candy Factory; Doorstepping; Edible Canndy Puzzle; Edible Novelty; Halloween Candy; Halloween Gifts; Halloween Novelties; Halloween Novelty; Halloween Sweets; Novelty Coffin; Novelty Sweets; Old Jones' Bones; Skeleton Confectionary; Skeleton Novelties; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Trick Or treat; World of Sweets;
But not before I'd constructed the 'puzzle' once, for the Blog! For some reason the green and white sections are thinner than the other colours? Anyway, I managed - at the eleventh-hour to contribute something to the Blogs Halloween Day! This has reminded me . . . new paragraph -

When we were kids, little kids; about seven or eight maybe, someone gave us some Pez; not the holders, just the refill packs, which were similar candy, and we didn't like them, but as they were chalky-pink and brick-shaped, we glued-them into walls for our 54mm Toy Soldiers (with balsa-cement I think?), and a few were still hanging around, glued to cereal-pack card bases, when we moved from there in 1980, about ten years later - I don't know what they make that stuff out of, but it's nasty stuff!

No comments: