About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

F is for Fairykins - 1 of 6

This is an odd one in that half the images have been in the archive since I took them about 15 years ago, when I first got a digital camera, and before I really knew what I was doing with flash and macro, but I did think I'd posted them before now, however I can't find them on the Blog, so I obviously didn't!

While the second half of the images are a new, near-whole set I got the other day for literally no money, so I've combined the two lots to give us a reasonable overview of the whole set, excepting the Pied Piper who is a tad rarer, as he only came in a couple of late-issue sets. And it sort of carries on the cartoony theme from some of yesterday's Halloween stuff!

Front cover of the earlier version of the whole-set 'book', there was also a Disneykin book and the later version of this one with the additional Pied Piper, the artwork is redolent of many children's books of the time, especially collections of fairy-tales, folk-tales or fables.

Inside the cover we have an explanatory map of the compartments on the other, opposite 'page' (below), with a version of the traditional rhymes from which the modelled characters are taken, and there's very little 'Disneyfication' with the Fairykins, which is why I prefer them!

That opposite page . . . in all its glory! I said I was still learning the camera! Don't worry, we're going to see them all again in the next five posts, but yeah . . . a tad disappointing! There is a small piece of damage between Hansel & Gretel and Little Tommy Tucker in that the piece of blue card sitting on the divider has been torn-away and lost.

The back cover shows 'some' of the smaller sets, in fact, and again; less the Pied Piper, but also dropping Humpty Dumpty and Goosy Goosy Gander, it is all of the window sets, I've cropped them below, for better viewing but it too is a less than ideal image, and the level of print-quality on the original wasn't much better!

Extras in brackets; they are usually semi-flat or flats.

Giant
Jack & The Beanstalk
Hansel & Gretel
Little Boy Blue
(Golden Harp and wood-chopper's block)


Mouse/Clock
Pussycat
Poor Dog
Mother Hubbard
Little Red Riding Hood
Wolf
(Table, large jug?)


Mistress Mary
Jack and Jill
Mary & Lamb
Polly
(Pot of flowers, possibly a hay-rick?)

Bo-Peep & Sheep
Mother Cat
Three Kittens
(Tree, clothes line with mittens, maybe a watering can?)


Little Miss Muffet
Nimble Jack
Jack Horner
Pieman
Simple Simon
(Wall and tree)


Little Tommy Tucker
Goldilocks
Three Bears
(Hat stand, breakfast table, raised pouf/ottoman)


Future posts will look at each layer, row or shelf, in turn, starting at the top.

No comments: