About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

F is for Fairykins - 3 of 6

The recent sample allows for a reasonable coverage of the second row down;

Boy Blue; Come Blow Your Horn; Fleece Was White As Snow; Give Her Poor Dog A Bone; Jack Be Nimble; Kettle; Lamb; Little Boy Blue; Louis Marx Fairykins; Mary & Lamb; Mary Had A Little Lamb; Mother Hubbard; Nimble Jack; Old Mother Hubbard; Polly; Polly Put The Kettle On; Poor Dog; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sukey Take It Off Again; The Dog Was Dead;
But Mary seems to have walked into a combined harvester's cutting bed and lost her feet - ouch! Pretty sure I have a loose one in the storage sample, but not as sure as I am about Bo', I have several Bo's I think? However Mother Hubbard and the Poor Dog are new, and the Boy Blue is the first complete example; his horn being easily broken.

Boy Blue; Come Blow Your Horn; Fleece Was White As Snow; Give Her Poor Dog A Bone; Jack Be Nimble; Kettle; Lamb; Little Boy Blue; Louis Marx Fairykins; Mary & Lamb; Mary Had A Little Lamb; Mother Hubbard; Nimble Jack; Old Mother Hubbard; Polly; Polly Put The Kettle On; Poor Dog; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sukey Take It Off Again; The Dog Was Dead;
Ah, yes; "get a brew-on, girls!" 

♪ Polly put the kettle on,
Polly put the kettle on,
Polly put the kettle on,
And let's have tea.

Sukey take it off again,
Sukey take it off again,
Sukey take it off again,
They've all gone away. ♪

I wasn't sure why she was carrying a rake, but I suspect it's supposed to be one of those long-handled dust-pans! And another which is commonly found damaged due to the small extremities. And what about poor Sukey? No one ever models her, no one ever paints her, no one's ever done a nice etching of her . . . what heinous crime did she commit to be excised from the visual record?

Boy Blue; Come Blow Your Horn; Fleece Was White As Snow; Give Her Poor Dog A Bone; Jack Be Nimble; Kettle; Lamb; Little Boy Blue; Louis Marx Fairykins; Mary & Lamb; Mary Had A Little Lamb; Mother Hubbard; Nimble Jack; Old Mother Hubbard; Polly; Polly Put The Kettle On; Poor Dog; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sukey Take It Off Again; The Dog Was Dead;
Ah yes; starve the dog! Actually, I notice Louis Marx has weakened and left some meat-based product on the plate, the old softie!

Old Mother Hubbard
Went to the Cupboard
To give the poor dog a bone,
When she came there,
The Cupboard was bare,
And so her poor dog had none.

It gets weird though, as it often did back in the day;

She went to the Baker’s
To buy him some Bread;
When she came back
The dog was dead!

She went to the Undertaker’s
To buy him a coffin;
When she came back
The dog was laughing.

Pleased to get these two; I may have a loose mother already, but I don't think I've seen the dog outside of the book, so a nice addition to the collection.

Boy Blue; Come Blow Your Horn; Fleece Was White As Snow; Give Her Poor Dog A Bone; Jack Be Nimble; Kettle; Lamb; Little Boy Blue; Louis Marx Fairykins; Mary & Lamb; Mary Had A Little Lamb; Mother Hubbard; Nimble Jack; Old Mother Hubbard; Polly; Polly Put The Kettle On; Poor Dog; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sukey Take It Off Again; The Dog Was Dead;
Ah, yes; the illegal smuggling of freely-pooping livestock into a place of learning!

Mary had a little lamb,
Its fleece was white as snow,
And everywhere that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go

He followed her to school one day
Which was against the rule,
It made the children laugh and shout,
To see a lamb at school.

Although the new one is broken, Mary is another who survives quite well and I think I have one or two in the stash, note though, the different colour treatments of the two figures, especially the stockings, I still don't have the lamb, who has a distinctive bow.

Again there are other verses I don't think I've ever read/heard, but they are boring and moralistic, so you can look for them yourselves, if you need you!

Boy Blue; Come Blow Your Horn; Fleece Was White As Snow; Give Her Poor Dog A Bone; Jack Be Nimble; Kettle; Lamb; Little Boy Blue; Louis Marx Fairykins; Mary & Lamb; Mary Had A Little Lamb; Mother Hubbard; Nimble Jack; Old Mother Hubbard; Polly; Polly Put The Kettle On; Poor Dog; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sukey Take It Off Again; The Dog Was Dead;
Ah yes; a noisy neighbour and a fire-bug!

I think I've only previously had damaged versions of these two, so useful to get the whole ones.

Little Boy Blue, come blow your horn,
The sheep's in the meadow,
the cow's in the corn.
Where is the boy who looks after the sheep?
He's under the haystack, fast asleep.

There are two more lines in the common version;

Will you wake him? Oh no, not I,
For if I do, he'll surely cry.

While Jack's is short and sweet;

Jack be nimble,
Jack be quick,
Jack jump over the
Candlestick

Apparently a reference to a form of fortune telling!

The Boy Blue is a very American rendition I think with the dungarees and wide-brimmed hat, while Jack looks to be an insufferable prig from a rich landed family with his red jacket and George boots!

Another bunch tomorrow!

2 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

Other than Mary looking like a hussy. I like them.

Hugh Walter said...

Ay Jan, I think she's got a strop-on! Clearly she meant to challenge authority before the even left the house than morning!

H