About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

F is for Fairykins - 5 of 6

Onwards and upwards, we're at the fourth shelf down and we've two fairy tales and a nursery rhyme, although Marx has produced poems for all three!

Baby Bear; Beds; Chairs; Daddy Bear; Fairy Tales; FairyKin Characters; Goldilocks; Hunter; Jack & Gill; Jack & Jill; Jack And Gill; Jack and Jill; Little Boy Blue; Little Red Riding Hood; Marx Fairykins; Marx Kins; Mummy Bear; Nursery Rhymes; Porridge; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Three Bears; Wolf; Woodsman;
I think I have most of these already in the loose stuff, but I'm not sure about Red' or Daddy Bear, yet obviously I have them now! How that wolf is supposed to be able to eat a whole granny so she can be rescued a few minutes later by the woodsman/hunter is anybody's guess!

Baby Bear; Beds; Chairs; Daddy Bear; Fairy Tales; FairyKin Characters; Goldilocks; Hunter; Jack & Gill; Jack & Jill; Jack And Gill; Jack and Jill; Little Boy Blue; Little Red Riding Hood; Marx Fairykins; Marx Kins; Mummy Bear; Nursery Rhymes; Porridge; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Three Bears; Wolf; Woodsman;

Ah, yes; Murder, mayhem, talking wolves, unaccompanied children, isolated elders and expert axemanship in the forest, the Black Forest I bet!

"Where are you going, Red Riding Hood?"
Asked the crafty wolf in the deep, dark wood.
"To Granny's house with flowers and bread"
"I'll take the short cut" the mean wolf said
When Riding Hood got there in her cloak of red
Granny was in the closet, the wolf in her bed
He sprang at the lass and her cries of dread
Alerted a hunter who shot the wolf dead

"In the closet"? what a cop-out Louis Marx! I may have had the Wolf already, but I think Red Riding Hood is new, or if I had got her previously she will be found to be scruffy or damaged?

Baby Bear; Beds; Chairs; Daddy Bear; Fairy Tales; FairyKin Characters; Goldilocks; Hunter; Jack & Gill; Jack & Jill; Jack And Gill; Jack and Jill; Little Boy Blue; Little Red Riding Hood; Marx Fairykins; Marx Kins; Mummy Bear; Nursery Rhymes; Porridge; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Three Bears; Wolf; Woodsman;
Ah yes; a close call because bears like little girls, for breakfast; much nicer than porridge! 

Three bears stepped out for a walk one day.
In came Goldilocks while they were away.
She rocked in their chairs, ate some porridge and bread
And fell fast asleep in the littlest bed
"Who's been using my chair?" Father Bear growled
"Who ate all my Porridge?" Mother Bear howled
When Baby Bear cried, "Who's asleep in my bed?"
She awoke with a start and away she sped!

A much sanitised version, she actually broke a chair, ate all Mummy Bear's breakfast, licked the other spoons and mussed-up all the bedding, she was - not to put too finer point on it - an entitled little brat who would go on to stand for the Republican Party!

And Marx seems to have her trying to bribe Baby Bear with his own bowl! This - loose - Baby Bear has lost his spoon, so I think I'm still looking for a better one? 

Baby Bear; Beds; Chairs; Daddy Bear; Fairy Tales; FairyKin Characters; Goldilocks; Hunter; Jack & Gill; Jack & Jill; Jack And Gill; Jack and Jill; Little Boy Blue; Little Red Riding Hood; Marx Fairykins; Marx Kins; Mummy Bear; Nursery Rhymes; Porridge; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Three Bears; Wolf; Woodsman;
Ah, yes; more unaccompanied children, this time Health and Safety is absent at the crucial moment!

Jack and Gill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water;
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Gill came tumbling after.

We knew the second verse as kids, but I don't remember the third, and the history of this one is quite interesting.

Up Jack got and home did trot,
As fast as he could caper;
Went to bed to mend his head
With vinegar and brown paper.

The two new ones in the loose lot here have both had their buckets removed, but I have a few loose in good-nick, including soft ethylene Hong Kong copies which we looked at here, and who ironically have also had their buckets removed! In fact time has allowed me to realise that Hong Kong Jack is also a reverse copy, while Hong Kong Jill is pretty accurate, just sans-bucket!

More tomorrow!

No comments: