About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, November 4, 2022

W is for Well . . . I'll be Fucked!

A thought for the day, we haven't had one for a while!

Currently, experts know very little about where swearing gets its power, but power it carries!

What we do know about swearing:
  • It can trigger the “fight or flight” function
  • It helps with catharsis
  • It might be located in/come from different parts of the brain from other speech/language-use regions.

https://theconversation.com/the-power-of-swearing-how-obscene-words-influence-your-mind-body-and-relationships-192104

 
I'm a hell of a fucking swearer, as some of you know, I inherited the habit from my father, who was terrible compared to me - when the mood, an over-officious nabob or some plain-old arsehole - took him, and it strikes me that those who dislike ALL swearing (or 'cussing' as they often call it?), tend toward fear of emotion in all it's forms.

It's not that they necessarily tend to religious faith (although a lot do) or tend toward conservatism per se, although many do, but rather that they are slightly afraid of life, and rich-life in particular. And, if the above article is to be believed; they are under-using one or two areas of their brains?

Non-scientific observation - by me! - seems to suggest non-swearers often have frightfully ordered lives, and that's actually sad - life is to be lived, not ordered into little grey tick-boxes, and when; in living life, it throws a curve-ball at you, a good expletive will help dull the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune"!

Thought for the day - swear more! It's healthy!

6 comments:

Terranova47 said...

Don't store it in adding to stress levels, just say "F*@#!" loudly.

Works for me, but annoys the wife.

Hugh Walter said...

You should hear what I can people from HMRC as I stride up and down the bedroom carpet couching letters out loud, then I sit down and write a nice one, complaint with legislation and with my position as a surf!

H

Jan Ferris said...

Fucking Aye, I believe you nailed it.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Jan, that's me fuckin' chuffed!

H

[Earlier comment should read 'compliant' not complaint! Christ, if you started complaining about their shenanigans, they'd drag it out for another six months!]

H

Spectrum Steve said...

Hey Hugh,

Just to add this in, Doug Beattie MC quoted in his book 'An Ordinary Soldier' that the most Irish thing he had heard in all his years of service was 'Aw fook, the fooking fooker's fokking fooked' and,I remember (but not which book) that James Bond told someone that four letter words provied 'a bit of roughage' pesumably in the same way as bran flake do the other end...

Hugh Walter said...

Hahahahahaha! There's no pithy comeback to those Steve! Cheers!

H