About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, December 20, 2018

D is for the Day of the Dead

2017's Halloween movie of choice for the younger audience was a strange Orpheus in the Underworld-like tale, re-told with guitars and re-located to Latin America! Coco; Phidal has a set about that too . . .

2017; 531799; Day of the Dead; Disney Coco; Disney Enterprises Inc; Disney Pixar; Interactive Books; Interactive Toys; Made in China; My Busy Book; My Busy Books; Phidal Book; Phidal Coco; Phidal Publishing; Pixar Productions; Plastic Figure; Plastic Figurines; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
Front and back covers, I always shoot the internal pages, but there would be real copywrite issues if Ishowed you all those, and anyway they aren't terribly exciting being - for the main part - cropped movie stills with a simplistic paragraph or two to re-introduce a few - but not always all - the sets characters. In  addition I'd have to find a load more blurb!

2017; 531799; Day of the Dead; Disney Coco; Disney Enterprises Inc; Disney Pixar; Interactive Books; Interactive Toys; Made in China; My Busy Book; My Busy Books; Phidal Book; Phidal Coco; Phidal Publishing; Pixar Productions; Plastic Figure; Plastic Figurines; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
Contents; they don't seem to be terribly in-scale with each other, but having not seen the movie, I can't be sure it's not meant! The really tall skeleton needs a hot water straightening session, one day!

It's a problem I've noticed with these, and I'm not sure why; they have to be painted so any post-mould distortion should be weeded-out there; they are always loose in the compartment so it's not squishing at the packing stage; there must be a moment where they are subjected to a lot of heat, maybe up against the wall of a sun-drenched shipping container? But around one figure per every three sets needs some work, usually those with bases, or thin parts.

2017; 531799; Day of the Dead; Disney Coco; Disney Enterprises Inc; Disney Pixar; Interactive Books; Interactive Toys; Made in China; My Busy Book; My Busy Books; Phidal Book; Phidal Coco; Phidal Publishing; Pixar Productions; Plastic Figure; Plastic Figurines; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
A few close-ups, as I'm not familiar with the film (centred on the Central / Southern Mexican festival of The Day of The Dead), I didn't really know what to shoot, so you get the demented Scooby-like dog and it's . . . what . . . underworld version . . . doppelganger, opposite number? A madi-gras decorated party-dog!

2017; 531799; Day of the Dead; Disney Coco; Disney Enterprises Inc; Disney Pixar; Interactive Books; Interactive Toys; Made in China; My Busy Book; My Busy Books; Phidal Book; Phidal Coco; Phidal Publishing; Pixar Productions; Plastic Figure; Plastic Figurines; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
By far-and-away the nicest piece in my book (and in my opinion!) . . . and in every Coco book (!) is this jaguar/ram griffon/cockatrice hybrid hell-cat in a metallic blue/green rainbow with purple and orange bits - to cool for fashion school!!

Returning to the contents point, this animal is not explained in the text at all . . . but if I was twelve this would be on my desk at school!

No comments: