About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, December 21, 2018

Q is for Question Time - Mary Mother of God!

This is the figure I mentioned the other day, and it's an odd one, not because I don't know what it is, not because I don't know where it came from, but because I'd like to know who handled it!

2/6; Christmas Decoration; Christmas Figure; Crèche; Creche; Italy; Krip; Krippen; Made In Italy; Mary Mother of God; Nativity; Noel; Precepi; PVC Figurine; PVC Toy; PVC Vinyl Rubber; Silicon Rubber; Sixpence; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Two Shillings;
She's been smacked-to-life with an ugly-stick I'm afraid and in the hollow of her whole (an unfortunate phrase - I'll grant you!), she is clearly marked TALY (the 'I' miss-registered) and 2/6. She is a soft latex rubber, even a PVC or an early silicon-rubber, and is clearly a Precepi (Nativity) figure of Mary, mother of the Little Baby Jesus.

Now . . . here's the thing; the 2/6 can't be two-of-six, as she isn't holding the LBJ, so with a Joseph that's three? Which, if the count is six leaves room for either three wise men, or a shepherd and two something's? The minimum count of a nativity is seven - if Mary holds the LBJ or eight if the LBJ is in a manger, basket, beer-crate or shoe-box.

While as far as I can remember from my trips to Italy pre-Euro, they didn't have a sub-coinage, they only had Lira? Even if they had a sub-coin, two Lira and six-something's wouldn't buy you a sneeze at the time, while this figure would have cost you, what; 25 or 30p (?) in the UK in the seventies?

Go back to the sixties and the 2.06-something's (cents?) won't buy half a sneeze, but this figure might be two-shillings-and-sixpence in Britain, which - following decimalisation - would become 25-30p in 1970? The evidence would appear to suggest this figure, although clearly Italian was mould-marked - exclusively - for the UK market?

Anyone know who carried it? Have you got this set, are they all priced individually? Anyone recognise the Italian maker/sculpt? Did they go elsewhere with other mould-marks? Was there an unpriced version? The rubber seems too-soft for Landi or Chromoplasto types, so any info gratefully received.

No comments: