About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

O is for Ocean Colour Robots

Or; should it be Ocean Friction Scene?!! A sort of follow-up to the recent follow-up which I shot at Sandown Park (courtesy of Adrian at Mercator) and then found in the HK trade catalogue Bill B put up on the Internet the other day, so nicely dating them to the mid-1980's.

'Trade' or 'display box' (also called stock, shop stock or counter display boxes) branded to Ocean and as colourful as you'd expect by the '80's; Little Robot and these are friction powered ('pull-back' motors) rather than the clockwork one's we've looked atpreviously.


Three designs, the red-ones appear to have lost their domes, but as it's a near mint set-up and all three were gone, but none of the blue-domes have gone AWOL, it may have been a factory thing, whether forgetfulness or a technical issue re their actually fitting over the heads - I can't say.

Coded 50-D (for 'display'?) on the box underside and seemingly a contract order for a Reed over here, there were colour variations and a variance in who got (or didn't!) which colour dome in the 1986 HKTDC toy catalogue/Year Book.

No comments: