About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

D ist fur Der Sport-Vagabund

Or 'The Sports Adventurer' in English, another visit to the world of board-games and a Hausser game, not - as far as I know - copied/licensed to/by Waddington's (in the UK) or Rojas e Malaret (in the Balearics) as others were.

Boxers; Der Sport-Vagabund; Diver Figure; Diving Figurine; Elastolin Figuren; Elastolin Hausser; Elastolin Sports Coupe; Elastolin Sportscar; Elastolin Sportsmen; Elastolin Toy Figures; Football Player; Hausser Elastiolin; Hausser Sports Coupe; Hausser Sportscar; Hausser Sportsmen; Hausser Toy Figures; Riders; Runner; Show Jumper; Skiers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sport-Vagabund; Sports Adventurer; Sports Coupe; Sports Figures; Sportscar; Swimmers;
No pictures of the board or box, I've never encountered one, let alone acquired a copy (there are a couple of links at the end of this article), but the figures I have 'sammler'ed' over the years!

Top row is a complete set of early figures, or; playing pieces! There are only the seven - to my knowledge, and while each is coloured (for six players?) the sports car is not so clear, and it may be that less players (maybe four) had to negotiate the board, trying each of the seven sports?

Middle-row is a later set, which - although not clear under flash-photography - have brighter coloured bases and other slight variations (footballer's socks, shade of brown paint &etc), while the bottom row are more factory chuck-outs which appeared, undecorated in the 1990's, but were used in later versions of the game I believe?

You're thinking "Why doesn't he know the game's mechanism if he's posting links?", well, the links are in another article on the dongles here at home (no Internet) and I won't have time to check them when I load the article at the Library, or I will check them (and copy/paste) but I won't have time to re-edit this to make me look smarter than I am! But the links should answer the question marks!

Having seen the yellow plastic bases of the gold figures the other day, it's interesting to note that while the skier and diver have pre-coloured plastic bases (white and blue respectively), the other four have red, orange, yellow and green-painted bases - on white plastic, pointing to the gold-finished figures being manufactured - as a batch - later than these.

Boxers; Der Sport-Vagabund; Diver Figure; Diving Figurine; Elastolin Figuren; Elastolin Hausser; Elastolin Sports Coupe; Elastolin Sportscar; Elastolin Sportsmen; Elastolin Toy Figures; Football Player; Hausser Elastiolin; Hausser Sports Coupe; Hausser Sportscar; Hausser Sportsmen; Hausser Toy Figures; Riders; Runner; Show Jumper; Skiers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sport-Vagabund; Sports Adventurer; Sports Coupe; Sports Figures; Sportscar; Swimmers;
The sports car is a 'generic' . . . Mercedes! And there is no marking to reveal its origins, which probably means a few have been discarded by figure-collectors over the years as junk stuff for the 50p rummage tray!

And/Indeed - scarily - it looks a lot like the Disney/Transformers vehicles currently coming out of Phidal 'Busy Books'!

Boxers; Der Sport-Vagabund; Diver Figure; Diving Figurine; Elastolin Figuren; Elastolin Hausser; Elastolin Sports Coupe; Elastolin Sportscar; Elastolin Sportsmen; Elastolin Toy Figures; Football Player; Hausser Elastiolin; Hausser Sports Coupe; Hausser Sportscar; Hausser Sportsmen; Hausser Toy Figures; Riders; Runner; Show Jumper; Skiers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Sport-Vagabund; Sports Adventurer; Sports Coupe; Sports Figures; Sportscar; Swimmers;
Adrian Little saved me a few more unpainted ones a while back, and I'd taken the above line-up before I sorted them into the main collection from the attic lot. Although the driver has remained unpainted, the car has had its silver overspray.

Obviously I need an unpainted footballer for completeness-sake, and have a few spares for a like-for-like swap - runner, rider, boxer (or swimmer/diver? I'll have to check?); if anyone has a spare footballer? And anyone following PW magazine recently will find the swimmer/diver strangely familiar!

Links

No comments: