About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, March 24, 2019

B is for Britains Mini Sets - 3 - № 1002 Shepherd & Sheep

I thought we'd had this years ago but I can't find it so I suspect it got shoved onto a dongle during the house-move or upon the death of the old Laptop, which I donated to a tech-training centre for the students to play with! I also wondered if it was mine but I think it's 'from the archive' which was the early Blog's euphemism for 'I photographed it at JB's house'!

№ 1002 Britains; № 1002 Mini Set; № 1002 Shepherd & Sheep; 1002 Shepherd & Sheep; Britains № 1002; Britains 1002; Britains Herald; Britains Mini Sets; Britains Mini Sets № 1002; Britains Mini Sets № 1002 Shepherd & Sheep; Britains Minisets; Farm Animals; Farm Hand; Farm Toys; Lambs; Mini Set № 1002; Mini Set Shepherd & Sheep; Sheep Toys; Shepherds; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toy Figures;
Whether I've shown it here or not, it's been cleaned-up and given a nice picture-frame, so it's worth a second-look, if it's a second-look!

A complete Shepherd & Sheep set and looking at it, I think I may have shown the dog as a question-mark Corgi in the past, being the same scale (1:48th), size (40mm-compatible) and material (PVC) as some of their [Corgi]'s other stuff - I think it was darker brown as well?

The shepherd looks more like the Britains tractor-driver (he also seems to be based-on) than a shepherd, and has stopped for a smoke, confident the sheep aren't going to wander-off as they are rooted to the ground with those long spikes of 'grass'!

№ 1002 Britains; № 1002 Mini Set; № 1002 Shepherd & Sheep; 1002 Shepherd & Sheep; Britains № 1002; Britains 1002; Britains Herald; Britains Mini Sets; Britains Mini Sets № 1002; Britains Mini Sets № 1002 Shepherd & Sheep; Britains Minisets; Farm Animals; Farm Hand; Farm Toys; Lambs; Mini Set № 1002; Mini Set Shepherd & Sheep; Sheep Toys; Shepherds; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toy Figures;
The image from the door-hanger display board sent out to retailers and photographed courtesy of John Begg - whose set it may be as well!

As with this morning's diver set, the idea was to separate the smaller ovoid bases from the larger plate, so increasing the playability of the set, and to enable the mixing of elements from other related sets.

Had Britains stuck with the concept until they had issued more sets, I think they would have taken-off, and might even have still been with us as a blind-bag or capsule 'thing', imagine; thousands of 40mm vignettes (20-per year for 50-odd years?), with interchangeable parts!

But for whatever reason it was pulled soon after the second tranche was issued, and while they sold well enough for plenty of loose bits to turn-up in junk lots, they clearly didn't sell as well as Britains had hoped they would?

2 comments:

siteofcuriosities said...

Nice find!

Hugh Walter said...

It would be if I'd found it Remaras, but I think I just photographed it round John's house years ago! I may have some of the pieces loose?

H