About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

H is for Hugh's Handy Helpful Home Hobby Hints

I think I started this particular trope ages ago and it might have run to a 'part one' post, so this is probably only the second of Hugh's Handy Helpful Home Hobby Hints on Small Scale World!

You can go to a decent model shop (if you still have one near you) or you can go to a modelling supplies website and buy a pack of veneer sheets for whatever it costs, probably not a lot, but something, use them to create some scenic masterpiece and spend ages staining, dry-brushing and weathering it, or . . .

Handy Home Hobby Hints; Hugh Walter's Modelling; Laminate Material; Modelling Ammunition Boxes; Modelling Guide; Modelling Hints; Modelling Materials; Modelling Tips; Play Wood Plywood; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Veneer; Weathered Materialls; Wooden Modelling Material;
. . . you can check a wood-pile for old, weathered, de-laminated plywood sheeting, which can make excellent clap-board buildings, feather-edges fence-panels, split-rail fencing or various defence-works, or indeed anything wooden you may need in a diorama or as part of war-games scenery - mine workings, packing cases etc.

And (if it's not too rotted) it can be cut with scissors as well as a craft-knife, although the older stuff can be a bit crumbly! Non-crumbly stuff can be washed to get the worst of the lichen or algae off and once patted-dry can be re-flattened/straightened in a flower-press.

And it makes excellent fire-lighting material!

No comments: