About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, August 5, 2022

C25th is for Buck Rogers

Except I'd never actually seen a Buck eraser! To be fair, for a decade or two I've only had the 'trooper' and while I Knew Wilma and Twiki (the stupid kid/dog/little sister tea-time viewing-ruin character) existed, I did wonder as to the full extent of the set.

Buck Rogers; Buck Rogers In The 25th Century; Imperial Buck Rogers; Imperial Pencil Toppers; Imperial Toys; Novelties; Novelty Erasers; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Pencil Toppers; Pencil Earsers; Pencil Rubbers; Pencil Toppers; Robot Erasers; Robot Twiki; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Ships; Starships; Stormtrooper Toy; Thunderfighter; Twiki; Wilma Deering;
Still my favourite, and shot before the other's had been found, he's a generic space soldier, with little in the TV series I remember looking anything like him? But then I don't remember many of the space ships in the topper/eraser set being in the series either! He's really channeling the Imperial Stormtroopers from Star Wars and seems to have taken a space fire-hydrant up his jacksie!

I should state here that I watched the series . . . because - Sci-Fi . . . but it was shit, It was shit then and it's shittier now, it was worse than a bad Dr. Who story-line, it was cheap, it was a conveyor-belt for B-movie 'stars' heading down and wannabe stars heading-up, and there were no sweeping space-opera battles or anything, it was a naff, band-wagoning off-of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica, without the budget or effects, it made the half-a-decade older Space 1999 look sophisticated.

It tried to be wordy and worthy, with Trekian morality lessons, or parables on life, but without the charm of Star Trek, and the lead (who's real name I can't even remember) was NO lead! But its run coincided with when we had our Bush colour TV and then moved here, so I watched it religiously hoping it would improve, or have at least one proper space battle!

Buck Rogers; Buck Rogers In The 25th Century; Imperial Buck Rogers; Imperial Pencil Toppers; Imperial Toys; Novelties; Novelty Erasers; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Pencil Toppers; Pencil Earsers; Pencil Rubbers; Pencil Toppers; Robot Erasers; Robot Twiki; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Ships; Starships; Stormtrooper Toy; Thunderfighter; Twiki; Wilma Deering;
The additions, for some reason I shot Wilma back-to front, more on that in a minute, but you can see she has the Imperial Toys markings on her back. Buck is to her left and that annoying little fucker 'Twiki' the ersatz K9-R2D2-Daggit thing is the blob of orange. the space craft are make-weights which seem to have been bought-in or - at least - added from another line.

Buck Rogers; Buck Rogers In The 25th Century; Imperial Buck Rogers; Imperial Pencil Toppers; Imperial Toys; Novelties; Novelty Erasers; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Pencil Toppers; Pencil Earsers; Pencil Rubbers; Pencil Toppers; Robot Erasers; Robot Twiki; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Ships; Starships; Stormtrooper Toy; Thunderfighter; Twiki; Wilma Deering;
Casting around for an image of Wilma the right way round (these are all in storage already) I found the original listing, of the lot I bought a while-ago . . . maybe a year-ago? Is still on Picclick! The whole box is on Pinterest, Worthpoint and at least one website, I used the Worthpoint one, but it's probably not the best.

The dumpy 'steampunk' dustbin ship (pink above, blue one in the post!) was previously part of a range of scented erasers (a trend which started in the 1970's but which had its heyday in the 1980's I think) in bubble-gum colours, and one of my two troopers (both the same green) is not marked Imperial, so there might have been a generic issue of some/all of the figures.

There's also a standing robot who looks more Diener and may be from another source, but whatever other issues they had, they were clearly interchangeable cavities and were run-together for the Imperial set - six figures (including two robots), six vessel. You can see one of the ships (yellow, bottom right) is vaguely a 'Thunderfighter' from the TV series.

Did I mention I can't stand Twiki . . . he grates on me like a Republican senator trying to talk on women's issues.

Now fully updated here.

No comments: