About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

EMCE is for Even More Colourful Entities

A slightly more full post than the previous two box-tickers on EMCE, in part thanks to a purchase from Gareth a while back, as I was wont to open mine, but they give us a decent idea on the various packaging types and there was some internet stuff to complete the picture.

Fallout, another video game and not easy to collect if - like me - you are coming to it after a few years, due to different formats on either side of the pond, issued at different times it seems (it's not clear!), the above are - however - best described as the commoner poses, although I suspect overall there aren't any especially rare ones, except the flying thing (below) maybe?

I won't bore you will background on the game (there's a good Wikipedia page), but it's nice to see Steve Jackson were in there at the start, I've had their card figures in my collection for the longest time. Suffice to say, it's a post apocalyptic game with missions and combat.
 
The blue figures above are the human 'vault dwellers' (bunker survivors) and there are four other factions in the whole line/range/game universe. the khaki figures are Mutants (apparently one is friendly) and the grey ones seem to be robots.
 
This is the way to get everything, and I will open them in the future, for more detailed posts when I have the time to do the research and gather all the little details, but note the Humans are grey plastic in these sets. Each of the sets also have a larger 100mm'ish 'display' figure, and some 'equipment' pieces, not all to scale?
 
There are also bagged sets, and this was where I got confused when purchasing them a year or so ago, as some seem to be 3-of-3, some seem to be 4-of-4 (couldn't find all of them), some are 12-figures, some 24, they don't seem to equate to the four boxed sets (which do seem to be definitive, as far as poses/pose-count goes), and the 'You Will Emerge' bagged set with cartoon artwork header-card is a stand-alone 'army builder' with the commoner figures seen through this post?
 
There is also a set of six yellow versions, first issued as Convention Exclusive blind-bag giveaways.

The humans from Vault 13; a male and a female, they are smaller than most of the other figurines in the set, but don't look out of place next to them due to the monumentalism of the mutants and mechanical nature of the mech's and because they share CAD-CAM design/sculpting.
 
The mutants; I think the 'friendly one' (I can't now find the reference, but I think it was on a sci-fi art group on Faceplant, so it may not be 'canon'?) is the one with both hands up?
 
I love the tripod here, shades of H G Wells' War of the Worlds, and there was a definite retro' aspect to the original 1990's gestation of the game, with stuff taken from American Cold War propaganda leaflets and posters.
 
I believe this is called a Jersey Devil and is a sort of flying-fox-vampire-manbat-perterrordactill! there wasn't one in the lot from Gareth and I didn't want to open my 'emerge' bag for a single figure, so shot it through the plastic! It does seem to be unique to this bag?
 
The convention giveaways were probably considered rare at one point, but Toynk are offering them on their website and on their eBay store, so if you need them (we none of us NEED any of this stuff!) they are about. They seem to be limited to the cartoony figures which I assume are another faction, related to that retro' poster stuff?
 
A few links;

Toynk's Nanoforce Page (re previous EMCE post; Toynk are global and US based!)
 
Having sped-read the links as I found them, to correct the above, I think it goes like this . . . 4-of-4 boxed sets with thirteen items, 12 game 'pieces'/figures and one larger bonus sculpt, 3-of-3 bagged sets, two with a 12-count and one with 24, no bonus figures, all brand-marked Fallout 76, one 'army-builder' You Will Emerge bagged set with the unique Jersey Devil and 23 other [common] figures, and the six blind-bag Vault-Tec figures in yellow. I must have imagined the 4-of-4 bags, or someone listed one wrong on Amazon?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

straight forward review, thanks. too bad they're pretty much sold out of these online.

small smelling error new the end, "We NONE of us need any of this stuff," I believe you meant "know."

Thank you for this post.

P.S. what is up with the repetitive and gushy review at the end? Is it good? I didn't look.

Hugh Walter said...

Thanks Anon! They are around, I got all mine quite recently, last autumn, or over Christmas. No, we NONE of us 'Need' this stuff, we just 'Want' it! It's not a bad review, just overly enthusiastic and rather repetitive . . . probably aiming to hit SEO targets I just don't bother with, I don't know, it told me about the Jersey Devil, so I can't knock-it too severely!

h