About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, February 3, 2024

A is for Apollo Astronauts

Is that how you spell astronaut, I wouldn't want to tear the arse out of it . . . "Oh yes you would!". Another box-ticker now, more NASA types, courtesy of Weetabix Weetos breakfast cereal.
 
I have been picking these up for years, and there's a decent enough sample somewhere in the stash, but I didn't have the floating command/return capsule, and for years I kept finding them only in yellow, and had begun to think the other colours might be mythical, however, eventually I started to find the odd red one, then a blue, since the advent of Google and evilBay, they have become common enough to find in all three colours!

These first four came in a while ago, and while the three figures are 'smallish' scale at around 45mm, hence my picking them up over the years, the other three items are 'premium' size, or unit-cost sized! And here we have the command module and mighty Apollo (with extra wings!) in its launch gantry.

These came in at that Autumn show, from which show-report's folder I have been raiding for images recently! The one on the right is my first sample of that sculpt, and the third figure is to the left here, although there are two diminutive frogmen clambering onto the reentry capsule to open the door!
 
I have yet to find any in white, but they seem to be hen's-teeth rare, as usual, the better article is on Cereal Offers, with details of two sculpt changes I haven't even noticed yet, so will have to check against mine when they are all reunited in one place, which will give us an excuse to revistit them!

No comments: