About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, February 19, 2024

H is for How They Come In - Charity Shop Backlog - 2022, 1 of 2

I think we're looking at the later stuff first, but that's how it worked out and I reckon you don't care! Trouble is I'm a details' person, and with the Asperger's, tend to worry more than I need to, about facts, or other things, of no consequence? Anyway, some nice bits among the dross;

Two bags of mostly dinosaurs,  but there were a few figures and wild/domestic types in the larger one, which was a bit pricey at a tenner, but had over a hundred items in it, so it worked out at less than a quid each?

Most of them, the left-hand bag seems to be missing, I don't know if they went back to storage, or I hid them from myself as they are a bit naff, pull-back motor toys, but the over-mouldings were quite good!
 
The farmer guy definitely went back in the next donation, infant action toys are a no-no, it's not that they won't need to be listed, or at least mentioned in passing on the A-Z entries, just that I haven't the room to collect something I have no interest it, and little connection to, we didn't have such stuff when I was a kid, infant figures tended to be wooden or plastic 'plugs', likewise Playmobil, although I have allowed myself a Roman and a Pirate . . . as examples!

I regretted buying this bag, I hadn't noticed the broken (missing!) barrel on the semi-deform Elephant/Ferdinand, but I could see it was rack-toy shite, and it was really greed which brought it home. The AFV's will prove useful I suppose if I ever do get round to sorting all the Mings, Wings and Wah's out properly?

There are animals in the tub here, which are missing in the photo, whether I forgot to take a shot or what I don't recall, it may be that they were damaged? But it was a reasonable lot for probably four pounds, with a PVC Giraffe and Lion, some cereal premiums, a couple of nice paint survivors (Hong Kong copies of Britains Ibex and Zebra), and even the two cows have nice paint, not top-collector standard, but not ratted either!

This was a nice find for 50p I think, quite big, about 7/8-inches, and has an arrow on the front of the base, I don't know if it's an instruction to whoever was melting the foot-plugs into the base, or an instruction to the buyer for lining up on a bigger display base? Probably one of the newer makers like Mojo or CollectA, not that I've seen them with bases, but someone like that?
 
The wooden one was already in the collection, but I thought it should be posed with the 'polystone' job, as they have a similar simplicity about the pose/sculpting. We will have a big season on cats one day!
 
£1.40p? Cheaper than chips these days! Although the chap on the Aldershot road out of Guildford (Google says Empire Fish & Chips, I was in a hurry!) gave me what looked like a fivers-worth for two-quid the other night, and they were bloody good chips, so many thanks to him!
 
The green lad with the orange glasses went back, with the farmer, but the rest were useful enough to head for the stash, we looked at the Spanish granny-lady a while ago, for some reason, but it's all grist to the mill! More to come.

No comments: