About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, February 26, 2024

J is for Jet-O-Car!

Bit of a rarity here, it is mentioned in the multi-authored 'Blast Off' (ISBN 1-56971-576-9, 2001, pp.117; and the index in that - otherwise excellent - book is shite, I think they added some pages and never updated the index!), and only shot at the show, it was way outside my budget, and it sold before I had a chance to photograph it (about an hour before the doors opened!), but fortunately the new owner let me fire of a few quick shots.

The Poplar Plastics via Thomas Toys, pulp-era, dime-store type Jet-O-Car, a sprung-loaded beast, ready to spill shards of shattered polystyrene down all the skirting-boards in three colours of brittle polymer! Which is probably why it's so rare now!
 
Loosely similar to the Pyro Rocket Car, but with the addition of a clear-plastic canopy and the aerodynamic rear wheel-well/fairings, the mechanism is similar to the Airfix racing car we saw here (well, if we didn't, it's in the queue!) a while back.
 
It's unmarked, which calls into question a few of the 'Kleeware/Tudor Rose?' items, as this metallic blue plastic keeps cropping up, and with both widespread mould-sharing, and copying, it's never as clear as some would like? It's very much a case of if you don't have a maker's mark, or the box, it's unknown, even if you're pretty sure?

No comments: