About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, February 12, 2024

L is for Let's 'Ave Some More!

No, not nastiness; that was this morning, but after that tiresome rebuttal, I thought we could look at some more glow-in-the-dark aliens as there does seem to be a relatively endless supply of them, I still haven't got the jewel-eyes keyring ones, and somebody posted some nice green, larger scale ones the other day.

Like the pirate ships which have been around for a while now, these seem to be all over the place at the moment under dozens of - mostly - unbelievable brands (Amazon), or as unbranded generics on feeBay, which was my procurement route of choice!

At the equivalent of about 50p each one feels a bit cheap complaining, but they are not packed very-well, and being, in fact a type of poured resin, rather the commoner and more hard-wearing polymers we might expect, two of mine did not pass the Royal Fail test! They are from about 25/30mm for the smallies up to about 50mm for the taller chaps/chapesses!

Some sellers don't offer an option, mine had 'blue light' or green light' with the differentiation apparently being the colour of the eyes, although as a confusion in some shots (there are many!) they clearly all had black ones? I opted for 'blue light', but as you can see, I've got mostly green eyes, two with blue, and one with black eyes, unsurprisingly - given what it's been through - one of the broken pair, who also seem to be a darker polymer?

 
This confusion carried over to the photoshoot, where one shot (previous) confirmed they must be the blue-light set, and another seems to suggest they might be greenies? God knows, but I suspect, given it will be additives to neutral resin, that QC is all over the place on different batches, maybe measuring by hand? . . . Still, you pays your money and takes your choice, and at 50p each who cares? The superglue needed to be mixed with liquid poly before anything took, though!

2 comments:

EY said...

Very nice. Those are "kodama" from the Studio Ghibli film Princess Mononoke. I don't think I've seen the glowing blue ones before.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers EY, That's useful to know, I got them off of that evilBay a few weeks ago, but there were loads of listings, all selling them as generics, not Kodama, just search 'glow aliens'

H