About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

H is for How They Come In - Charity Shop Backlog - 2023, 1 of 3

So let's get last year's backlog cleared, and I'll still have god-knows how many folders in the queue! I realise some of it is down to the Asperger's, I open a folder, think, oh, and close it again because I can't get over a small mental block, like how to collage them, or what to delete!

And as if indecision and procrastination aren't enough, I seem to have numbered these (after some thought) in the reverse order, so this lot is from December? Anyway, as you can see, three bags, one farm, one 'zoo' and one with bases!
 
This was the based bag! Four modern, New Ray and ELC I think, all PVC, and two old Hong Kong copies of European makers in front, both polyethylene, although the hen and chicks was marked China if I remember well?
 
Farm was mostly modern, a couple of the late vinyl Britains, some similar, but - if anything - slightly better, and some dafter (Pony in my Pocket?), along with some more of the Safari Horses Jon sent about the same time, in fact one of the reasons for getting these cleared is that there's a horse follow-up in the queue, and seeing these after that would be more boring than the other way round, duplication wise!
 
A couple of nice giraffes, a sub-scale copy of the Britains elephant and that bunch of mini-vinyls with the giant orangutang, two polar bears and two hippo sculpts which leave you thinking "This can't be right?", but actually it's the third or fourth time they've come-in together, so they are a set. A lone Dino' and some older Hong Kong efforts make up the contents of the bag.
 
I thought this was rather nice, a slightly daft face, but not often you find a prone camel, the odd one in Nativity sets maybe, for 54mm or 60mm, while this one (Kinder) might be a tad big for Airfix Arabs, but for 28mm gaming would look good in Egypt, ancient or colonial?

A part set of CollectA mini-dinosaurs, in a container which may or may-not have been theirs but went to recycling anyway! They seem to be from a set of 20 sculpts, and if you have to 'collect them all' in eights, you're gonna' end-up with a lot of duplicates?

Very nicely decorated, and detailed for their size (the 'standard' smallest, if you know what I mean), with different Steggi' types, one with plates in the common fashion, the other (Kentrosuarus) altogether more spiky and exotic!

And this was my favourite in the set, inspired sculpting has a Diplodocus reaching up for the younger shoots/branches, and not obvious from my shots is that the head/neck is also reaching round the side of the tree . . . or tree-fern it would have been?

2 comments:

Andy B said...

nice post- anceint Egyptians didn't have camels though!

Hugh Walter said...

Are you determined to ruin my Wednesday Andy? We've already got the Chancellor threatening to double the price of vaping at lunchtime, and I've just been over to Asda to find they haven't got my preferred flavour of 'juice' for the fifth day in a row!

We discussed this on the HaT forum, back when it was fun, and yes, the evidence suggests the old/high kingdom wouldn't have known them beyond a source of wild meat, but Pharaoh Shoshenq I is thought to have had them domesticated around 1000BC, so they would have been known to the Ptolemaic's, just in time for the wise men to visit Bethlehem!

Point taken! But my Airfix camel squad looked mighty fine, running alongside the Atlantic chariot!

H