About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, March 16, 2024

S is for Seen Elsewhere - Lone Star's Swivel Animals

I didn't manage to shoot the brown cows before they sold, however the cart-horse and a white cow, came home with me, and I think we saw a black one here at Small Scale World years ago, from the 'archive' shots?
 
The cart horse is actually the best of the five, as it's got the extra knee joints, lacking in both the other four animals and the similar Noddy licesnsed figures, also seen here in the past, so he's got 8-points of articulation, quite the 'action figure'! The saddle is very distinctive and must take the draw-bars of the older 'hollow-cast' (lead) carts, while the collar is similar to Britains' one.

To be honest the swivel limbs don't add much to any of them, as only one or two subtly different poses look 'right' the rest (an almost infinite variety) just look a bit daft! And in the case of the horse, any departure from standing or a gentle walk just unbalances it! The cow additionally, has an articulated/nodding head.

I've never seen the donkey or the foal, and while I've seen the pig, I don't have one, although I do have a very similar, 30-odd year's younger one from Kinder (also on the blog somewhere?) which is almost as good, but with a slightly cartoony face?

Now, guessing here, but I suspect the pig only came in pink, while white, brown and black plastic versions of the other four may have been produced, with airbrushed black, white or red-oxide highlights? In addition to the spot-painted pink and black detailing of hooves, eyes, nostrils, a halter &etc.

No comments: