About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, August 24, 2026

H is for Help Wanted?

 I received a request to ID some stuff from passing reader Noah Churchill the other day, and he explained;
 
"I am trying to find a source for this gas station toy and crane toy repurposed for the production of the Theodore Tugboat children's television series circa 1992. I am a model maker who lives near where the series was made, and I am also an avid historian of the artist who created the models.
 
I’m currently in the process of restoring several original shooting models from the series that were recently rediscovered, so being able to identify these toys would be an enormous help with the restoration."
 
Now, the first thing is, I've never heard of Theodore Tugboat! So it was off to Wikipedia, where I learned the suspected similarities to Thomas the Tank Engine of my suspicious and cynical mind, were correct, but in part because they share a director, while the model-maker mentioned above, must be Andrew Cochran, the originator.
 
Wikipedia also states that some of the models are on permanent display at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax (where the series is based), Nova Scotia, so these recently found ones must have fallen through the gaps? 
 




"The gas station toy is about 6.5" long, the base and roof are moulded in yellow-orange plastic while the building section is moulded in white plastic. I figure this must be from a large town set similar to those made by New Ray, and in fact many of the tire bumpers on the boats were repurposed from various New Ray toys.
 
The crane appears to be sourced from a crane truck toy, and with the boom extended measures roughly 10.5" long. I've found a very similar crane in an Artoy Take Apart Vehicle toy from 1984, however it is slightly different in detail. Of course with these plastic toys, there can often be an almost inexhaustible trail of manufacturers copying, modifying, and reusing each other's toolings."

I haven't been able to help Noah so far, The gas station looks to be from a cheapo' toy, maybe Blue Box or Redbox or Lucky Toys, or, someone newer like New Ray, but I couldn't begin to guess. Searching the toy section of eBay for vintage garage/gas station/petrol station is probably the best bet, it looks too simple to be a Busch-Faller-Kibri-Noch-Vollmer-Wiad type? I did put some New Ray catalogue images on the Blog, a while back . . .
 
 
. . . where a Caltex station has similar petrol-pumps, but a different roof?

Jean  Hoefler / Höfler did some simple buildings around 1:60th, while Matchbox, Corgi and Hot Wheels sometimes issued them in play sets. Equally, it could be from one of those large multi-story garage-car park things in mostly printed hardboard? Mettoy and Blue Box did some, others were more generic.

While the crane might be a civil vehicle from Preiser, or Roco, they did a line of construction vehicles in/for AHM in the 1970's, with others being Prailine, Roskopf or Wiking, but it could be from a railway wagon, maybe by a cheaper make like Playcraft (Jouef) or Tyco? but there's the added complication of a Canadian angle on the whole thing?

So if anyone can help Noah, either drop a line in the comments, or eMail me and I'll pass messages on, that would, I'm sure, be gratefully received.

No comments: