About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, December 5, 2021

N is for Not Going in the Queue!

And so to the London Toy Soldier Show, a rather muted event in a new (to me) venue, but these are the times we live in, and while the Internet is the ultimate winner, society is losing something of itself every day. I thought that rather than adding it to the 'H is for...' long-queue; I'd get it out of the way and try eating down on that queue, going forwards!

I won't bore you with pictures of the show, the organisers (publisher's Guideline) took loads of photographs and video, someone else was taking video, there was a bloke with a dumb-phone taking footage which may already be online somewhere, and another photographer managed to get a candid shot of me - for his mate - which almost certainly won't be seen in public, but ought to be!

Airk Thaughbaer; Argentine Toy Figurine; Argentinian Toy Soldiers; Bedford Army Lorry; Bedford RL; Blue Box; Capsule Toys; Christmas Cracker Prizes; Egyptians; Four Tanker's And A Dog; Hong Kong; Jeep And Trailer; Kinder fantasy Figure; Kinder Swoppet; Kinder Wrestler; M46/47 Tank; Made in Hong Kong; Made In Poland; Polish Toy Soldiers; PZG Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; PZG Poland; PZG Toy Soldiers; Robots; Romans; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Timpo GI's; Timpo Solid GI's; Tonka Toys; Tonka Willow; Turkish Toy Soldiers; Willow; Zang Composition; Zang WWII Toy Soldiers;
So it's straight to the few purchases I made on the day; and we're starting with the Sci-Fi fantasy stuff! Rear-left is an unusual Tonka figurine from 1988's Willow line, I was aware of them from some catalogue or Blog or another, but didn't know they used the Britains Deetail basing method, of a slotted metal base with vinyl lugs on the undersides of the figure (in this case Airk Thaughbaer)'s feet.

Next to him is a Kinder fantasy figure from the late 1980's, I have one with a blue lizard (and green pants I think?), but not the helmet (also lizardy), so he was a nice addition, while Adrian from Mercator Trading had put the robots to one side for me, similar in size and plastic-colour to the Ace Acme robots, I don't know their origins (beyond 'probably' being both Christmas cracker and gum-ball machine prizes) but will find-out one day!

Airk Thaughbaer; Argentine Toy Figurine; Argentinian Toy Soldiers; Bedford Army Lorry; Bedford RL; Blue Box; Capsule Toys; Christmas Cracker Prizes; Egyptians; Four Tanker's And A Dog; Hong Kong; Jeep And Trailer; Kinder fantasy Figure; Kinder Swoppet; Kinder Wrestler; M46/47 Tank; Made in Hong Kong; Made In Poland; Polish Toy Soldiers; PZG Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; PZG Poland; PZG Toy Soldiers; Robots; Romans; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Timpo GI's; Timpo Solid GI's; Tonka Toys; Tonka Willow; Turkish Toy Soldiers; Willow; Zang Composition; Zang WWII Toy Soldiers;
Three Polish-made Napoleonic cavalry from PZG were not cheap but a steal to find at all, and go with a fourth I found - at Plastic Warrior's show - a year or two ago, while Adrian had also found these diminutive Roman/Egyptian copies of larger Marx figures for me, which will entail taking another shot for a post which should have already published!

Airk Thaughbaer; Argentine Toy Figurine; Argentinian Toy Soldiers; Bedford Army Lorry; Bedford RL; Blue Box; Capsule Toys; Christmas Cracker Prizes; Egyptians; Four Tanker's And A Dog; Hong Kong; Jeep And Trailer; Kinder fantasy Figure; Kinder Swoppet; Kinder Wrestler; M46/47 Tank; Made in Hong Kong; Made In Poland; Polish Toy Soldiers; PZG Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; PZG Poland; PZG Toy Soldiers; Robots; Romans; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Timpo GI's; Timpo Solid GI's; Tonka Toys; Tonka Willow; Turkish Toy Soldiers; Willow; Zang Composition; Zang WWII Toy Soldiers;
Also from Poland's PZG came a better WWII officer than the one I have, and my first (I think) 'Four Tanker's and a Dog' figure. The pale copies of Timpo's GI's, probably come from Argentina, but could be Turkish, and feel-like/sound-like polystyrene, although I don't think they are.

Discussing them with several members of the 'old guard' during the show, more votes were for S. American than Turkey, but I still fancy the Turks, so it'll need something more definitive!

Airk Thaughbaer; Argentine Toy Figurine; Argentinian Toy Soldiers; Bedford Army Lorry; Bedford RL; Blue Box; Capsule Toys; Christmas Cracker Prizes; Egyptians; Four Tanker's And A Dog; Hong Kong; Jeep And Trailer; Kinder fantasy Figure; Kinder Swoppet; Kinder Wrestler; M46/47 Tank; Made in Hong Kong; Made In Poland; Polish Toy Soldiers; PZG Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; PZG Poland; PZG Toy Soldiers; Robots; Romans; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Timpo GI's; Timpo Solid GI's; Tonka Toys; Tonka Willow; Turkish Toy Soldiers; Willow; Zang Composition; Zang WWII Toy Soldiers;
Adrian also gave me a box of Blue Box bits and bobs which included a spare cab-floor for a Bedford RL, so I can rescue one from the junk pile - where a dozen or more languish. What's also useful about these is that the Britains poses are the earlier 'kidney' based ones, not the later, commoner, penny-bases.

I also grabbed the Zang figure as every time I find the soldier at attention, he's a different colour, and I wasn't sure if I had this mid-khaki shade with no webbing highlights? Possibly the smallest plunder bag I've ever brought-away from a show, but all good stuff!

No comments: