About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

N is for Nostalgia - Snakes & Ladders!

This is a very old friend, and in remarkably good condition remembering how often we played it Although the width of the fold-line shows that it has been opened and closed many times. I've seen PC versions called Shutes & Ladders, but where's the fun in that? We want great, big, SNAKES!

Board Game; Board Games; Bournemouth; G. J. Hayter & Co.; Hatyer Board Game; Shutes & Ladders; Shutes And Ladders; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Snakes & Ladders; Snakes And Ladders; Victory Board Game; Victory Games;
I loved this as a kid, branded to GJ Hayter & Co., of Bournemouth, under their famous Victory mark; I just loved the rich colours of the snakes, the Christmassy border - the whole thing. It's actually a particularly hard one to finish due in no small part to the big, blue, Mr. 93-25 who sends you back three-quarters of the board!

We also had a family rule that you had to 'throw your finish', which meant that if you were on say 98 and threw a six you would have to go 99-game-99-98-97-96, and hope for a four next time, but if you were on 98 and threw a three, you'd end your turn on 58! With three snakes on the top-row, they were sometimes long games, but fun and a great teacher of humility, humility and cynicism! As every time you thought you had it in the bag, it went South!

Board Game; Board Games; Bournemouth; G. J. Hayter & Co.; Hatyer Board Game; Shutes & Ladders; Shutes And Ladders; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Snakes & Ladders; Snakes And Ladders; Victory Board Game; Victory Games;
Even the label is rather fine, I think? If I recall correctly, these were sold in the old-school newsagents and corner shops (almost totally disappeared now), just loose boards stacked up in a box on a lower shelf, with Go boards, Sorry, Backgammon and a Chess/Draughts one etc . . . So this was probably at Webb's in Hartley Wintney and we (Bro' and me) may have chosen it, at some point?

No comments: