About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

A is for The Avengers . . .

. . . the proper ones, not the silly American comic ones! Although I was a New Avengers chap, myself; we didn't have much telly when we were kids (no loss - I avoid it by choice now), so I tended to catch Purdy and Co., later on, around friends houses, or after we got a rather smart (for its day) Bush colour TV as we hit teenage-hood.

Tom Clague sent me this a few weeks ago and I totally forgot it despite getting excited at the time and taking screen caps (below) from the clip (above), but it is fascinating for having the rare'ish Airfix 1st version Paratroops in 1:32nd scale, also obvious is the Marx battery-operated tank, Britains pack-gun and 25lbr's, Deetail (?) and Herald infantry.

Spot the conversion!

Marx
 

Deetail mortar team or Swoppet?

 
Herald with Naval Gun? 

I've also added the relevant screen-capcha and the clip to the relevant page for that Airfix set. Thanks Tom, brilliant!
 
* *****     ***     *****     *  **  *     *****     ***     ***** *

Half an hour later - I posted this elsewhere, FOR FUN, highlighting the Airfix para's and Marx tank, because the Airfix are an uncommon find, and most British kids (and I mean MOST) had that tank, or the sand, blue or grey versions, or some Hong Kong knock-off of it, back in the day - only for some pointless waste of oxygen to point out that most of the figures were Herald! Well; no shit Sherlock! Obviously, I didn't know I had to cover my arse to the Nth degree, by listing the obvious stuff; but here goes nothing . . . 

The mortar team looks to be Britains Deetail in the fuzzy screen-cap', but the video should be too early for such a scenario, so it must be the Swoppet one, which also had quite a bright-green base but not as square as it looks in the shot? Which means there's probably a few other Swoppets on the table with the Herald Khaki Infantry?
 
The Marx tank had a fixed-turret but is missing it's plug-in barrel. There is at least one Britains Pack-Howitzer, which - again due to the dates - is probably the earlier fully-folding one (a later version had fixed legs - less breakages, less irate parents on the 'phone!), along with three or more 25lbr's and a late model of Britains' Naval Gun (which in one form or another had been in their catalogues since the 1930's) which kills the Brigadier.

There were also several plastic-looking vehicles, a fly-wheel motor tank he directs at the mountain, a (Pull-back motor?) jeep and possibly an armored-car at one point (also pull-back power?) which are probably all Hong Kong, possibly Jimson, Telsalda or larger Blue Box types.
 
I think the board is painted FoamexTM, but it could be a coated particle board, with the lines applied with Lettraset Lettraline or possibly Unipart vinyl pin-striping, but I'm just not sure!

If I've missed anything else, I really don't care, perhaps one of the fastidiously humorless, tediously fuckwitted of this parish can let us know . . . TJF? I honestly thought he'd managed a Christmas without having a pop, but he just can't stop himself!

No comments: