About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, December 27, 2021

N is for Nostalgia - Meeces-to-peeces and a Cat, four Pelican's but no Swan!

I have been building-up a bunch of Nostalgia folders for anytime, or even a new Blog I've half a mind to at some point, but this one needs to go out at this time of year so it might as well be this year, as these were in our Christmas stockings many, many moons ago.

Animal Stationary; Cat Marker; Feline Marker; German Stationers; Marker Pen; Marker Pens; Mouse Marker; Novelty Cat; Novelty Marker Pens; Novelty Markers; Novelty Mice; Novelty Mouse; Novelty Pens; Novelty Stationary; Pelican Markers; Pelikan Markers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Stationary;
I can't now remember if we got two each one year, one each over two years, or one each with the spare mouse and cat retained by Mum? The fact is I do remember 'the' mice (at least two) being in Christmas stockings (which we always seemed to open about 4am!) one year toward the back end of the 1970's.

Animal Stationary; Cat Marker; Feline Marker; German Stationers; Marker Pen; Marker Pens; Mouse Marker; Novelty Cat; Novelty Marker Pens; Novelty Markers; Novelty Mice; Novelty Mouse; Novelty Pens; Novelty Stationary; Pelican Markers; Pelikan Markers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Stationary;
Made by the German firm Pelikan (pelican) similar-to but unrelated to Schwan-Stabilo, another German stationer, I don't know how many there were in the series or what other animals might have been produced, while Google and feeBay only seem to confirm they are hard to find! The black's dried-out and the green's gone a bit weird, while the Blue's gone turquoise!

Animal Stationary; Cat Marker; Feline Marker; German Stationers; Marker Pen; Marker Pens; Mouse Marker; Novelty Cat; Novelty Marker Pens; Novelty Markers; Novelty Mice; Novelty Mouse; Novelty Pens; Novelty Stationary; Pelican Markers; Pelikan Markers; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Stationary;
I'd shot three before the blue one turned-up elsewhere, I don't know how they ended-up here, as they should have been played-with to death with by my Brother and I, but I guess Mum saved them when we'd gone off to big school! Nice thing to find many years later anyway!

They are similar to a series of trucks/cars both freewheeling and - I think - pull-back motor, which were also given animal/rodent faces and big coloured wheels, which were also popular novelties at the time, we had a gray rabbit and . . . a yellow cat? Also Crimbo-stocking presents but long gone now. D'you remember these?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence that you posted about these recently! Last night as I was falling asleep, the memory of these markers suddenly swam up from the depths of my brain. I never had them but used to see them in some catalog that was around in the '80s and always thought they were so cute.

Hugh Walter said...

Well Anon' I'm pleased they were here for you to find, as I know I failed to find them when I Googled them prior to blogging them! They MUST turn-up on eBay occasionally? If you ever find the catalogue, we'd love a scan of them!

H

Unknown said...

I have 11 Elf or Dwarf markers by Pelikan, Made in Germany. They are definitely 'Vintage' collectibles; .... any idea of value ?

Hugh Walter said...

No, Anon, I'm afraid not, it would seem that this post is all there is on the Internet! Presumably yours stand like the cat, with pointy-hats uppermost? They sound delightful and we'd love photographs . . .

H