About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

F is for Follow-up - Jurassic Set

We have seen BJ Toys before; modern poppa-trooper types I found in The Works a few years ago, these came from Peter Evans the other day and are very much a follow-up to this post from a month ago.

Not actually linking itself to Easter in the overt way the Hobbycraft one was, it nevertheless comes with similar blow-moulded eggs, which are far too large to be considered the birthing chambers of any of the dinosaurs included, unless they're all very, very young!

I must say I didn't notice the connotation of BJ when we last encountered them, but if someone can get away with Bum-Slot racing, it's not too far of a stretch to consider someone knew what they were doing when they went with BJ Toys, although the back of the card tells us it's B&J . . . right, the logo was just some accident, guys?

Six dinosaurs, similar to several sets we've seen recently (and others to come); 'monochromatic' in bright/primary colours and quite small, but not the same as any we've seen here - all new sculpts.

A couple of old favorites in a Triceratops and a Brontosaurus, also the Parasaurolophus - a dino' type which has gained popularity since my childhood and is now in most sets line-ups, having been all but absent when I wer't lad!

The two eggs and a palm tree make the weight, the palm tree - it must be said - is the poorest of the many vertions of this tree out there.

And it struck me the other day that there have been three generations of make-weight palm trees in rack-toys, since the popularisation of plastics; first Marx and many copies of both the large singles and small twins, then Britains and the many copies of the flat-four and 'trees' singles, and now these scraggy pairs, which have been with us for a couple of decades now, and while some are quite good, with coconut looking nuts and plenty of thicker foliage, sometimes doubled-up, the one here is a particularly small, sparse example with discs for coconuts!

Cheers Peter, two eggy-dino' posts in time for Easter! And there are still some 'sauroposts' in the near queue!

No comments: