About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, April 17, 2022

L is for Louche & Lanky!

The only thing worse than a blind bag, is a blind box! With a blind bag, you can squeeze it to find the pose you're looking for, or discard the one's you've already got, or, you can learn/look-out for the pack code-numbers after Small Scale World gives them to you, as was the case with Horrible Histories . . . sadly no one did it for the second wave!

20th Century Fox; Alien Franchise; Alien Novelties; Colonial Marines; Easter Eggs; Easter Soldiers; Palisades Entertainment; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Marines; Swarm Packs; This Time It's War; THK; Treehouse Kids; USCM; Xenomorph; Xenomorph Aliens; Xenomorph Eggs;
But with a blind box, you haven't the faintest what you getting, and while the blurb says "...from 4 to 8 figures" I've only seen the same three or four-figure sets (unless they're counting eggs and 'Norwegian' containers, which would be double the swizz! But anyway the above is what you were looking out for to 'army build' your big-box playset; a rather naff card thing with plastic decks/edges.

20th Century Fox; Alien Franchise; Alien Novelties; Colonial Marines; Easter Eggs; Easter Soldiers; Palisades Entertainment; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Marines; Swarm Packs; This Time It's War; THK; Treehouse Kids; USCM; Xenomorph; Xenomorph Aliens; Xenomorph Eggs;
I seem to have deleted the original image, so I'm reusing one I've used elsewhere a bit sooner than I might usually, but se la vie as the French say and they know what they're talking about, they all speak French!

How they come, I don't see up to eight figures in either of these, it's a four-count every time!

20th Century Fox; Alien Franchise; Alien Novelties; Colonial Marines; Easter Eggs; Easter Soldiers; Palisades Entertainment; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Marines; Swarm Packs; This Time It's War; THK; Treehouse Kids; USCM; Xenomorph; Xenomorph Aliens; Xenomorph Eggs;
I think I'm missing two Colonial Marine poses, another with the thermal lance and a trooper, but I think I have all the characters? However, as you can see, and apropos the title of this post, while beautifully sculpted as far as detail/etching goes, they are all too long and thin in the vertical!

And it's not even an anatomical thing particularly, just that they seem to have been designed by one of the not-so-good stand-in Judge Dredd artists! They're all about seven-foot-six and streaks of piss!

20th Century Fox; Alien Franchise; Alien Novelties; Colonial Marines; Easter Eggs; Easter Soldiers; Palisades Entertainment; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Marines; Swarm Packs; This Time It's War; THK; Treehouse Kids; USCM; Xenomorph; Xenomorph Aliens; Xenomorph Eggs;
I'm also missing one of these Xenomorphs I think, running/lunging forward with the tail out back, but I won't be buying one soon as they will turn-up loose in a year or so, they must have sold quite well, as there's always plenty of these on eBay (which may - of course - just mean they didn't sell first time round!), but to get the three I need (there may be a Facehugger too?) I would have to end-up with twice as many duplicates however I worked it, so I'll wait.

They're usually around the $£€-25/30-mark (always look for those around 12/15, they're there), with the odd idiot wanting 70 for his 'really rare' set! And buy the opened ones, so you know what you're getting!

These are also a bit lanky, but it works quite well with them, and possibly the best way to game the franchise would be with these Aliens, the Walmart egg-aliens (suitably painted) as juveniles and the Lanard Corps Elite 'Space Marines'?

20th Century Fox; Alien Franchise; Alien Novelties; Colonial Marines; Easter Eggs; Easter Soldiers; Palisades Entertainment; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Marines; Swarm Packs; This Time It's War; THK; Treehouse Kids; USCM; Xenomorph; Xenomorph Aliens; Xenomorph Eggs;
I think I bought five sets to build my sample, in total, and this one may be the mythical '8 figures' one! Two Xenomorphs, four eggs (the missing ones brought the price down and how many do you need? . . . Oh, a cavern full!) and three containers which could be food, ammo, medical supplies or science'y-stuff, but they remind me of Norwegian containers used in the modern military to keep foot hot or cold.

There's also four window-box sets which consist of one-each transparent blue Xenonorphs (or one has four transparent blue eggs) and US Colonial Marine named-characters in grey plastic, which - as of two minutes ago - I've two in the post, so a follow-up, soonish? Now to be found here!

That's it, an uncommonly eggy Easter, just not the sort of eggs you want to find on a hunt round the garden. Palisade/THK Aliens - This time it's . . . err . . . skinny war!

4 comments:

Ze [Zuplemento.com] said...

Kudos.
Would love to score some alien ones.
Do you do Trades?
Look me up on FB: Sergio Karakenio


Ze

Hugh Walter said...

I don't trade much Ze, but I haven't got enough of these anyway, however they are still quite findable on evilBay, and bargains can be had there!

H

Ze [Zuplemento.com] said...

Was not refering to these Alien ones specifically, but overall from you spare ones of your colection.

Do you have for sell?

I don't trade much neither, and dont have much stuff anyway (but can keep an eye for stuff you re after)

Ze

Hugh Walter said...

I'm not a gamer Ze? I don't have a box-full somewhere? This is it, one of each, ID'd and Blogged before I die. is the aim, don't know how close I'll get, we're only about 10% in!

I may have one or spare Marines within the sample, but A) they are in storage now and B) they won't be a priority unpacking at the other end? So it'll be a year if it's a day - or longer - before I even see them again.

Really: try eBay, they're not rare, I just don't have (or want) many!

H