About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

F is for Follow-up . . . to the Previous Posts

A few bits of relevance to the stuff Chris Smith sent to the Blog last October, and which have 'come out of the wash' in the last 48-hours, and in the order in which they appeared!

The Daktyl Perterrohsaw went in a block-rock but had been divorced from it by Royal Fail shaking the parcel to see if it was worth nicking! I made that last bit up. You can just see it in the first photo' on that post and, as you can see, it's not showing much compatibility with Lego's Kiddybrick rip-off, which had been my suggestion. The Bird'o'saur's gone to storage.

The clown with a giant bow, was also a pencil-top, so he has more in common with the tripple-headed Kaiju in the following 'military' post. The sculpt might be a Brabo rip-off?

Yesterday, Chris's mum suggested the fairy might be Titania, Queen of the Fairies, and subsequent image Googling by both Chris and I revealed a veritable cornucopia of sexy, alluring or even scantily clad Titania's so we were definitely on to something, but the truth (and the previously mentioned familiarity) is a little more pedestrian . . . Marx's Blue Fairy from Disney!

And she is a bit blue, or pert, yes I think 'Pert' is the word required here! She's a softish PVC though, so not from the chalky 'classic characters' range we've seen here before, and while the material was used for the painted 40mm Circus figures back in the day, it was also used on the reissue dancers I picked-up a while ago?

The sack turned out to be from the Dinky TK (civilian transport ancestor of the military MK) coal-delivery truck! They have been reproduced, in recent times, usually in black, but with the Dinky name now just a traded brand handled by several companies in the last twenty years (Universal and Atlas Editions for a start) the yellow ones may be for a modern-made greengrocer's truck; potato's, or miller's/baker's vehicle - corn? Seen above with an imported, rival, Spot On coalman.

From this morning's post, the line-up as it currently stands; the new Guardia Civil is a tad taller than the others, and you can see marked differences in say, the jacket flaps, but a general pattern is followed in the various potteries, look at the short, fat, round boots with their chunky soles, or the eyes!

5 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

Nice collection of odities. I especially like the angel in cream.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Jan! She's pretty!

H

Gog said...

Hi Hugh!
Very nice stuff in this entry. I wonder if you omitted the name of the Guardia civil figures deliberately or not. I am not an expert, but they are often referred as "alborox", which is not a brand, but a town in the province of Granada. I guess there are several workshops doing these figures by hand, even today, but since they are not packaged, it is probably only a superexpert thing to identify one figure by year or author. If you have ever written about them, I'd like to read it.
Cheers,
Juan

Gog said...

(Yes, I know this is a plastic figures blog, but I ask just in case)

Hugh Walter said...

We've looked at them a few times Gog, and I had discovered enough to know they were a regional thing, and still current, but I did't know they were called Alborox (I'll add it to the tags (there's about four posts?), or Figuras Alborox (just found a nice air-force one on Google!) and maybe next time I find or get sent some, I'll do the history . . . after I've looked it up properly!

H