About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, April 13, 2023

H is for Heraldry

Not the products of Messrs W. Britains, but something which was in the queue, and of which I was reminded by the anon' commenter on one of the recent bookplate posts, namely: the reproduction of coats of arms on medieval toy soldier's shields.

Some of you may have come across the above sheets on fleaBay, sold separately and for little outlay, the sheet on top is replacement paper shields for the earlier designs of Britains Deetail knights, with six each of the first designs (I remember them hitting the shops) and three each for the slightly later additional designs.
 
The sheet below consists of one each of twenty-five new designs, some of which are probably real, only by dint of the number of arms issued over the centuries? By which I mean that the maker (0arron0 on feebay) is inventing them, but by following the rules of heraldry, some may well have been extant in real life; or, 'IRL' as the brain-dead generation puts it!

I thought to contact the seller (Arron Wood) after my purchase with the possibility of getting the family arms done; a conceit, but harmless, and he was amenable to the idea, therein began an eMail exchange, and a few draft versions, before the lower sheet here appeared on evilBay, with a quick note from Arron. He did 12 of the one I use from the bookplate (it’s a dodgy right to do so mind, inheriting through the female line; I think they should have a diagonal line over them?), and a few others which we found on Google!

He has also done another sheet of 'imaginobles' for those looking for some variety with their Deetail knights, or any others fitted with similar sized/shaped smooth shields - some of the vintage French hard-plastics, Herald Hong Kong, Accurate/Revell or possibly the Gemodels set?
 
The reasoning behind the alternative designs are twofold, firstly; the surplus (after my purchase) sheets needed to sell to people who probably wouldn't want 30 identical shields and secondly; when a landowner gets the call to turn-out for his king or liege-lord, he turns up with various other members of the extended family, sons, brothers, cousins &etc, and they - under the rules of Heraldry - have different shield designs, but following the family theme. I think the three black-on-white is almost the default or generic one for Sussex Halls?
 
Google produced various Halls and a few which upon closer inspection proved to be Hallstons or Hallburgs or something, one was just Bauman! Anyway, there were several with the three Talbots in black, and while they are more commonly white in heraldry, some Halls do use the white ones, hence Arron's sheet choice, and while we ignored the 'swans', actually Cranes (Irish Halls from Donegal)on the sheet, we do have Irish relations, and we're Catholic, on Mum's side (I think?), so there may be a closer connection. I rather like the Canadian-looking dragon.

This isn't going to become a history lesson or a lecture on heraldry, both of which are convoluted affairs, but it seems the Scottish Halls are the oldest (similar to the Irish arms but brown field), ex-Norman knights, settled in Scotland in the 1960/70's, and a branch of them gives the chevron with Talbots, while our 'Sussex Halls' are probably a sub-branch of the Essex branch (1700's)?

The one I used for my Favicon years ago is on the left, and the one I sent Arron to work with is on the right, neither are brilliant, but at the sizes they show, they look fine, and Arron cleaned them up and gave them the correct little red tongues.
 
Arron is open to commissions, but only if you're serious, so I have his eMail if anyone has a bright idea for a sheet of new/personalised shield designs for Britains Deetial, eMail me for his details, don't approach him on eBay (as I did) as evilBay may get pissed off if they think there's off-platform stuff going-on, not that there will be; Arron will get a dozen or so printed off (or more if you arrange it with him?) and tell you when they are ready to buy, so what you don't purchase will be available to others, therefore you don't need a fortune.

And many thanks to Arron Wood for putting-up with my backseat designing, and for producing a brilliant sheet. When I get round to it, I'm going to have a squad of Halls Templer all in black and white, to fight my Saracens!

3 comments:

Pompey Dave said...

As you say, some real coats of arms in that second lot. Do I spy the kings of France (3 fleurs de lys) and Sweden (3 crowns) and either Edward the Confessor or the city of Chichester at bottom right?

Hugh Walter said...

Yes Dave . . . I quite like Essex (the modern county) they have three curved swords or 'seaxes' which are full of holes, presumably to do more damage to flesh?!

H

Hugh Walter said...

Now . . . football team shilds for Britains Deetail Dave . . . there's an idea!

H