About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

S is for Shelfies - A Roundup II

Mid Jan' found me back at The Range, looking for paint or something . . . cat tower? And I spotted these, they're . . . 

. . . not the best shot, but it was an afterthought, I just can't believe the shite being offered and/or bought by people, even as the planet dies in front of their eyes! TKMaxx/Homesense, B&M, Dunelm and The Range are full of this stuff, a sort of hollow-cast/slip-cast resinated clay, they are all supposed to have a butterfly on their nose, most just have a jagged-hole, was it customer vandalism, or did they unpack like that from Asia, and why have they been left there? If we're still here in 20-years; I'm going to be pleasantly surprised!

A few days later found me back at TKMaxx, and shooting HTI again, but not in search of bathroom accessories, nor in Basingrad, but popping into the Farnborough Gate one (bigger, but not necessarily better than Basingstoke) after visiting one of the other stores (probably during the Laptop debacle!), and the reason I said maybe firefighters in the previous post is because I already knew there were pit-crew!

Obviously not interested in the large carry-case (his tail is in the red card compartment), but the smallies, which as I mentioned the other day, is one of my aims to catalogue and ID, as many of as I can, on a single page at some point, so that's a set of five, courtesy of an outfit called Geemac Sales & Marketing  - box ticked!

This is a different kind of shelfie all together, shot in the Phillis Tuckwell charity shop here in Fleet, it's a hand-made, box-diorama, doll's house and I thought (afterwards) that the left-hand figure could be converted to Pooh Bear with the addition of a longer nose and some yellow-paint! It was 20-quid which is steepish for a charity shop, but a lovely thing!





These were fun, but a bit too juvenile to purchase (although I have some similar Llamas in resin so who am I? To cast aspersions!), therefore I shelfied them in passing. New from Phidal Publishing, and possibly aimed at even younger readers than the My Busy Books, you get four models per My Mini Busy Book.

These were also new from Phidal; large-piece puzzles (no figures), magnetic sketching sets (also no figures) and 'Tattle Tales' with figures, but more on them in a future post, suffice to say they are a disappointment!
 
I'm gussing these are all part of the 'Cost of Living Crisis', priced as they are, the same as old Busy Books used to be, while the Busy Books themselves (there are one or two in the queue I think) have gone up a pound to £6.99 here

2 comments:

John said...

Thanx to a grandson taking up airplane modelling, I came back to Plastics after a sabbatical of about ten years.
The mechanics in the Racing Bikes set seem to originate as plastic figures in a Die Cast Racing Car set sold under the name of New Ray.
They reappear marketed in a "plastic" set under the name "AutoWorld".
Packaging very much like in your Blog.
They sold in down market toy stores for maybe £2.99 ..one car and four figures to a box. and as I had pretensions of a great F1 style grid, I bought nearly 30 over a year or so,
I kinda messed it all up as I intended painting the cars in maybe national colours of nations and affixing my own flags and decals ...eg Germany/Lufthansa Japan/Fuji Australia/Fosters and so on.
Unfortunately the plastic was so bad that the racing cars could not take the paint.
Live and Learn I suppose.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers John, that's very much worth knowing as, when they turn-up slightly different, it'll be a clue where to look for each attribution! There's so much of this small-run civi' stuff!

H