About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, August 7, 2023

WHC is for Well Heaving Catalogue

I can't remember the date of this catalogue, but I think it was 2006 or 2007, and while it was a heavy ring-bound tome with about 50 pages, the items likely to appeal to followers of this blog were on only six double-spread pages, and not all of them, so I've isolated the ones which may interest some of you;

Common Airfix clones!

All Hallow's Eve!

I've probably got all of these separately, but need to ID them in the stash and bring them together, common stuff in Charity Shop lots!

Looking at the scorpion, I think this is the set currently being handled by Henbrandt or the US outfit D&D Distributors, so the tool's still out there!

I've got similar, and possibly an unpainted version of this chap, but not this actual one, so he's on the 'wants' list!

Interesting as it looks like a comic-book cover-givaway, but I suspect some wires got crossed, and instead of five different animals (ONE per pack), these sets turned-up at Beano's distributors, which would have made a huge hole in their profits if they'd been given away, so they were cleared through Cornelius to claw back the investment?

I'd like to find one of these too!

Some of the many 'anonymous' civilians!

These are the soft rubberised, sub-scale (45/50mm) versions of the ones originally issued by Toy Major, and now in the Halloween sets from Dollar General, but back in a tan/fawn harder polyethylene. Suggesting that a year or two earlier or later WHC were behind the similar copies of Supreme's knights? An hour later - no, the TM ones are different sculpts!


I have some, but not all, these cowboys & Indians, in fact we may have seen them here in passing when I shot a few boxes in the garage a few years ago, but I don't have all these poses, and I have one or two, not illustrated here, so there may have been up to six of each, or five?
 
I also think I bought some around 1997 or '98, down in Sussex for the Editor of Plastic Warrior, in a fantastic, old-school, newsagent-sweet shop in Uckfield I think, or the next town down? I used to do a lot of milage! Yeah . . . might have been Hailsham, neither look-right on Google Earth, but Hailsham still has the circular road round the town centre, so I suspect . . . ?

I've got these too, one of the first large-scale samples to join the collection after the Blog started back in 2008/9, charity-shop lot, but they were so brittle I never blogged them, some kind of nylon or rayon where the fine detail snaps-off easily! They are large, around 80/90mm (?) and reminded me of the Auburn Rubber Vietnam era figures.

Chinasaurs! Quite nice, 'modern', weathered sculpts.

Another civilian you can now ID!

More Airfix clones and pretty common shite!
But distinctive bases on the Wild West.

Old cereal-premium clones!

This will be a larger model than the one in the Beano sets!

2 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

Hugh

You really did it this time. I am amazed at the large assortment of goods you have assembled.

Hugh Walter said...

Straight out of a catalogue mate, I didn't do anything!

H