About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, January 12, 2024

B is for Best Bendy Band Babes Ever!

I had a parcel from Peter Evans yesterday, and I'll blog the rest in the usual fashion, but these need a post of their own, and I loved them so much, I got straight to it, Majorette Bendable's, whether majorette's or not, at 'Ball Games', Rose Parades, Independence Day, State Days, Town Fairs, the American's love getting their kids' into Marching Bands, so of course someone made toy ones!

I had hoped I could put a brand to these, but it was, in fact, a very similar TM by another maker (Tai Ming Industrial), so we're still looking for this TW or WT! As they are all coded 'W' it may well be the latter?
 
"Collect them!" it says, quite forcefully, but I don't need to, as Peter has sent all six, and you don't need to, because they're all here for you to see! Actually it's the same basic sculpt for all six babes, but where they don't need both ring hands, one tends to be left blocked-up with PVC paint.
 
A saxophone, a side-drum held high on the chest by the same strap as the base drummer's, and a trumpet (? You know what I'm like with brass instruments!), the Brass have two spigots either side so both hands can be attached (unlike the box-art), and you can then move the whole together, theoretically - because they are quite small for bendies, there's actually quite limited movement.
 
Base-drum and . . . Majorette Major? Didn't Joseph Heller do a skit about this . . . major Major Majorette-major! The shoulder strap of the bass-drummer has a very small nick in it which won't allow for full operation/posing, but I didn't want to try substituting the side-drummer's in case it's a sign of forthcoming brittleness, better to leave it on the ground.
 
And the French horn! Which raises the question of how many colours were they available in, and/or how many colours of instruments are out there? I'm also guessing all blue ones are blonde, all yellows russet or redhead and all green ones raven-haired?

Not that big either, about a true 60mm and a bit chubby in a slightly cartoonish or caricature style, but they'd go well as background interest with all sorts of 'standard' figures. Except that they are really kids around 85mm real scale?
 
She can do all the moves!

From ETSY via Pinterst, I think this is a vague approximation of the headdress aimed for by the Hong Kong sculptors, but I warn you, researching girls marching band hats and/or helmets is a fruitless, if interesting rabbit-hole, you probably don't want to fall-down!

No comments: