About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

D is for Dinky Dinky's, 'cos they're very Dinky!

Box ticking a couple of catalogues with what many of us kids considered the epitome of die-cast vehicle toys, the Gerry Anderson stuff! And it's funny how it coincides with the advent of mass-use colour TV, they never bothered with Fireball XL5 or Supercar, but once we were enjoying 'Supermarionation' in pantechnicolourfullness, the licences were worth the investment!
 

The 10th catalogue (1974 I think?), we never really saw Joe 90 or UFO, but we were great fans of Thunderbirds and Stingray and would catch the odd episode of Captain Scarlet, so we didn't want for the odd 'fix' but usually round a mate's house, we rarely had a telly, or not one that worked! Also, Mum made me watch Fireball before I was old enough to enjoy it, because she loved it, and would watch it while feeding me!
 
From the 12th Catalogue comes the previous year's (1975) new thing, the Eagle Transporters from Space 1999, loved that, I was a little bit in lust with the alien girl Maya who kept turning into a big-cat, or other things!

We tended to share our toys until we were older, and I think the SPV came, near-mint, from a church-fete (a lot of our toys did!), while i can't remember if either of us 'owned' the Thunderbird 2 (ours was the 'proper' green, with flimsy legs) or Maximum Security Vehicle (dropped from this catalogue along with the Patrol Car), but I know my Brother was sole owner of the FAB 1 Rolls Royce operated by Parker for Lady Penelope, and I think he saved-up and bought it with his own money?

The Armoured Command Car was based on a prop to be used in Gerry Anderson’s planned The Investigator, a series that was cancelled after Dinky had produced the masters, so they gamed it, with a quick military look and accessories, and issued it anyway!

While the Eagle Transporter made it to the back cover as well, with a simplistic 'blue-print' graphic. That's got them in the Tag-list! Next?

2 comments:

Spectrum Steve said...

Morning Hugh,
I was and am, A big fan of Space 1999 and remember saving the grand sum of £2.99 to buy the Dinky Eagle in 1975. I no longer have that, but I do Have a good collection of the Product Enterprises Eagles. And that was when they cost £39.99-now you'll pay a couple of hundred quid! (ah how prices rise...)

And I have to say, that while there's nothing wrong with Maya it was Dr Helena Russell that had a major effect on my teenage hormones...

Hugh Walter said...

Hehehehehe! It's always redheads over blondes for me, Steve, and Maya was 'punky' with the eyebrows, Dracula hairline, etc . . . .

H