About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, January 15, 2024

G is for Glow-in-the-Dark Space Troopers

A real "Bloody Hell, this thing's taking off, find something we can put out there NOW!" moment, as Toy Box rushed to exploit the excitement being generated by events far, far away and long, long ago, back in 1977!



This auction was brought to my attention by someone on Brian Heiler's Faceplant group three or four years ago, and I was pretty sure they looked familiar (beyond obviously being the old Archer sculpts), so I grabbed the images, against one day blogging them.
 
Then, when I was up the storage unit in Jan. '22, putting space-stuff away, which had been in the garage, I spotted these in a tub, so shot them poorly, in a confined space, better than nothing, and you should have seen the shots I deleted!
 
I think they are from the old soft-ethylene Hong Kong copies rather than the proper Archer moulds which Glencoe cleaned-up/repaired a few years ago, well, a while-ago now. Although they do claim to be 'American Made'?

Finally, last year, these were up on feebleBay and I nearly bought them but the BIN-price was a bit steep for loose, seventies, rack-toys! They do seem to suffer from brittleness, but it may just be the tool, and I'm missing the chap with the longer ray-gun. Only the six poses seem to have been produced, with only two armed, and they are helmetless, but glow in the dark!
 
Space Trooper Action Team, from Toy Box Inc., absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars!

2 comments:

Ze [Zuplemento.com] said...

Nice box

Ze

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Z, I stress it's not mine and I only have the five figures loose.

H