About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

F is for Phoenix Fallen

Or at least I think they have? They were a staple of Military Modelling magazine (and Battle) in that late 1970-early 1980's heyday when the ads' were sometimes better than the content, or it seemed that way as you drew-up your wants lists and circled things in Biro or pencil!
 
Checks google, remembers we've had this conversation before . . . they're still going, but exclusively supporting the dolls house hobby, which, being bigger, will be more lucrative? Although the previous mention was way back when and the website (now based in Eire and incorporating Warwick Miniatures) doesn't seem to have been updated since 2018, so I suspect they are now defunct?

Phoenix Model Developments, possibly known to wargamers as Phoenix Renown (it's how I think of them), an aftermarket manufacturer better known back then for their 54mm antique furniture and ECW stuff or their 30mm ceremonial sets (we looked at the Toyal Tournement's Naval gun-race teams, last time), produced a small range of OO-gauge compatible figures, which may or may not have extended beyond these four sets?

They were also originally associated with Ravenscourt Miniatures, as Jon Attwood, who supplied most of these images, reminded me.

The figures, as mentioned in the cutting below.
 
The cutting, from a 1980's railway modelling magazine.
 
How they were packaged, as with the first image, and both cuttings, these are Jon's, there's not much I can add, beyond the fact that this article might help me ID some of my unknowns at some point, let's hope it helps you too!

From the archive, and the only other OO/1:76th stuff they were known for was a small range of WWII vehicles, I actually have the Kubelwagen somewhere (orange or scarlet header-card, I think?), but it has an interesting story attached to it, involving Crown Court, witnesses and other shenanigans, so we'll look at it another day and tell whole the sorry tale!

2 comments:

Mark, Man of TIN said...

Hello it’s Mark Man Of TIN Blog. Some of the Phoenix railway and military range seems to have survived possibly at S and D Models? Still trading in 2024. I have bought Scout 1/43 figures from them in the last couple of years.

https://www.sanddmodels.co.uk/products_76_figures.htm

Hugh Walter said...

Thanks, Mark, they have indeed, all four sets, but no more, and no AVF's I could find, I wonder if they went to someone else, they must have sold them when they decided to concentrate on doll's house accessories?

H