About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, January 6, 2024

News, Views Etc . . . Bit of a Round-Up

I had an unexpected day-off today, so having had a lazy night last night and not popped-out the two posts I had planned, I'll try to get them out later tonight! But I did faff-about until the early hours, going through a stack of catalogues and ephemera, scanned a few things and archived some stuff from Bluebird, Comansi and Klienbahn, so it wasn't a wasted time!

In the meantime, someone eMailed me to ask if the article in January's Collectors Gazette was plagiarising the Blog, and the honest answer is, probably! A while ago I noted, here, at Small Scale World, that several articles in that publication bore a more than slight resemblance to articles posted here, a few weeks, or months before they appeared there, and while I thought they'd knocked that silliness on the head, you can't have missed their coverage of military trains, so soon after we had several visits to them here?
 
When the author (who knows me, and is known to me) waxes lyrical "...these little harbingers of the plastic revolution are often overlooked - but I'm about to rectify that situation", he seems to be ignoring all the work done here by me and contributors, or elsewhere as mentioned in six posts, over eleven years! And his total number of models is out by at least two, maybe more! [I think there may be a little helicopter of the 'grasshopper' type]
 
Let's not forget he/they published two articles on me in their November 2005 edition! And, I probably get more traffic in a week, than they sell issues in a month! He seems to have nicked the image of the Armstrong Whitworth 'flying wing' and added the data from this Blog's article, I don't know, and his 1930's date . . . where does he get that from? None of them were flying then!
 
It's actually a bit tragic, you have the two Paul's pretending they haven't seen the blog (one of them's regularly commented on), so they can post the same stuff a few weeks later, as 'never seen before', Ramses the 5th pretending he doesn't get his few facts from here, TJF and his cock-wacking monkey-lizard and their shite, the Vichy wholesale downloading my stuff, and the AFD, one of whom still pretends to be my 'mate', but only after Stad's has left the building! In point of fact - one of the Brit's does that as well, but usually before Stad's has entered the building!! And people making shit-up, all over the place!
 
Onwards and upwards . . . it's still the 6th! One of my neighbours down the corridor made a lovely little Christmas display on the door of his flat, and taking the lead from him, I managed to buy the last door-hanger in the hardware store a few days before Christmas!

So I made this, with some of the stuff in the 'Gay Tree' top-up box, which happens to be here! It was the sum-total of my decorations this year, but I had three shiny robots and an astronaut on the windowsill behind the laptop, which were joined by two large gold bows from my Crimbo' prezzies, so some effort to celebrate was made!
 
I used my surprise day-off to pop into town and obtain the offending CG, and while in WHSmiths, who I normally try to give as little money as possible to (I try to always use the much-cheaper Rymans after watching Staples fold), I found this Schleich boxed-set, at half-price! Shit shots, but I rushed them a moment ago! Well worth the seven-quid-something, for four, given they start at a fiver for the small ones in the toy shop, a few doors up!
 
I'll leave them in the bags for now! I wonder if this isn't just clearing the 'blind bag' stuff, I've seen them (the blind-bags) in Smyths, but who's going to shell out six or seven pounds for something they can't see, a pound maybe, even two or more now for the Lego minifigs? But more than a fiver?
 
I'm on the last of Lidl's Favorina bears, and gave the After Eight's away as a late gift, but I haven't started the chocolate orange, and still have most of the Belgian truffles and three Lindt mini-bears, so edible-Christmas will extend 'till at least Valentines Day! Shops are already full of it! So a proper Happy New Year to loyal readers, and to the plagiarists, copycats and annoying little tick-turd golems, may I wish only, my recent luck, on you!

2 comments:

Spectrum Steve said...

Hey Hugh,

Remember the old saying 'If you're going to steal-steal from the best' Good job they are incompetent thieves though.

Hugh Walter said...

Oh absolutely Steve, plagiarism is the highest form of flattery, but I don't like them to think they're getting away with it! The dates attest, I point out, the stat's record!!

H