About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

C is for Cakeboards

Sometimes a contribution is perfectly timed to get a load of other stuff out of Picasa, and with this lot, that's exactly what happened, so before the highlights posts, here's some resin figures which were in Peter Evans's big bag the other day.

These Cakeboard figures, from Peter, are the modern equivalent of Gem for Culpitts (or Wilton in the 'States), between 54 and 60-mil, depending on the sculpt, and I would have said contemporary, but I can't find a website, so recently deceased is probably more accurate? They do/did a range of nicely-finished resin figurines of civilian, sports and hobbyist/pastime types, for thematic cakes, or targeted cake decorating.
 
I have got them in the Tags three-times already, so we've had one or two looks at them already, while these were added to the stash and shot back in the early-summer of last year, the lady bowler is missing her ball-hand - ohh-err missus!
 
While the chap in the middle is an older sculpt in polystyrene, who I might have thought was the aforementioned Wilton, but he's almost too good (they had a cruder hard-plastic one in the 1960's), so maybe a French make (he has that certain je ne sais quoi!), or just a British minor-make lost to the mists of time?

The Cakeboard bases are usually marked (C) CAKEBOARDS around the rim/edge of the often quite deep bases, but can be unmarked, particularly on the thinner bases. 'Handmade' means hand-poured (into a mould) and hand-finished, not all have the sticker. I've also shown the interloper's base, in case it triggers any memories which might help ID it.
 
I also shot these, back in 2016, when the cake decorations shop in Basingrad was closing-down, the proprietor did look for useful catalogues, but all she had were price lists, which she thought were no use, and while I tried to explain they might be, it was a losing battle against her thinking I didn't need them or me making an offer I couldn't afford for a stack of what would have been mostly useless paperwork about four-foot high!

But you can see some of the figures already seen above, some we've seen before here at Small Scale World, (the cyclist was between the footballers before I purchased her) and a few others, and clearly some came in different colour-ways over time, like the swimmers, or footballers. The snowboarder may not be Cakeboards?

No comments: