About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, April 7, 2024

S is for Sawyer's Bespin Cloud-car . . . Not!

Twin fuselage craft go back at least as far as the weirder output and ideas of the German aircraft maker Blohm und Voss and others, of the Nazi era, and any real resemblance to the international-orange cloud cars serving the floating city's of the planet Bespin, in a galaxy far-far-away and long-long ago, is purely coincidental, not least because this probably predates both the Movie, and possibly the birth of its Director!

Sawyer's of Viewmaster fame are believed to be behind this superb piece of pulp sci-fi' made solid, in a chunk of polystyrene (or even a Bakelite material?) with four lenses, sorry - engines and pilot/gunner's windows! Because, when it's not being a spaceship, it's a pair of not very effective, novelty binoculars!
 
The decoration revealing its twin-use directive are simple 'panel lines', raised on the surface, above we have what I think is the top, with two cockpits laid-out at the fat (front?) end, and a hint of tailplanes raised at the thin ends. Four cannon holes or ray-gun/laser-ports are lined-up along the leading edge of the connecting airplane/wing.

So, it's a ground attack/support fighter-bomber, in the tradition of the Mosquito, Lightning, Black Widow or Beaufort! The underside (or what I consider the underside) has similar surface detailing for folded landing wheels, bomb-bay doors and tail-wheel cabinets, along with the call sign/identifier PF-939 (for Plastic Fighter?).
 
The lenses have been wedged-in under pressure, to get stuck-fast against more raised lines of polymer, and I'm thinking, if I use a rubber mat and wooden dowel, I may be able to get them all out to clean the interior, and polish the lenses, but that's for another day!
 
Two holes in the outer winglets are for a neck-cord/strap, but the cord that came with it wasn't long-enough to go over a five-year-old's head, so even if it was original it got removed as a rather stained and dirty remnant, beyond the stores required, going forward!
 
At 40/45mm it's a single or twin-seater?

But at smaller scales it could have a crew of six or more, and looks like a serious piece of intergalactic war-kit, with a busy maintenance schedule, when back on Terra Firma! I phuqing love this stuff!

I wonder if George Lucas had one?

No comments: